Changing head gasket

slikk

Money Getter
how difficult is it to change a head gasket?

will i have to know, show to set the engine timing, will i need special tools,

is it possible to fuk up my car beyond recovery if i dont every single right ??

please advise

YezEr

Retired VeeDubber
it depends on ur exp..yeah the biggest prob is gonna be getting the crank pulley off by hand..People will know what I'm talkin about....Questions...are u doing it urself..If you've never done it b4 get someone who has..It's an interference motor..That means that if it's not timed exactly right..MUAH bye bye engine...

DA6streetsleepr

U don't need to take off the crank pulley what are you talking about??? Changing a head gasket isn't too difficult if your having someone who knows how to do it already helping you. Your gonna have to adjust the valves and the timing. When I did my headgasket the hardest part of doing it was unbolting and rebolting the bottom bolts of the intake manifold.

slikk

Money Getter
thank you for the coments.

i was think about doing it by myself .. but from what you guys said i dont think i can pull it off .

i will just take it to a shop. however i went to ultrarev.com and they gave me options for many different thinkness and make os gaskets . what should i be looking for when buying a new head gasket ?

i think i can get a 99 GSR for 7k with 80K miles on it .should i just trade in the hooptie and get myself a car payment? what do you guys think ?

DA6streetsleepr

if you can afford it go for it. The only way your ever gonna learn how to do it is just to do it. The thickness in regards to the head gasket goes like this generally the thicker the better for boost the thinner the better for raising compression for all motor. It's gonna be expensive for a shop to do it. You'll get alot more for it if you sell it fixed rather than not fixed. I would fix it and then sell it.

YezEr

Retired VeeDubber
The only reason i said itwas becuz i noticed he has a 90 ls..Chances are if he's changin a head gasket he might wanna do the timing belt anyway..just to get it out of the way..Didn't mean to make ya flip..

slikk

Money Getter
YezEr said:
The only reason i said itwas becuz i noticed he has a 90 ls..Chances are if he's changin a head gasket he might wanna do the timing belt anyway..just to get it out of the way..Didn't mean to make ya flip..
i wasnt sure if i wanted to do it or not and i cant afford not to have a car right now. i rather have a pro do the job so i dont mess anything up