Chasing a screeching sound

osiris19

A couple weeks ago. My integra started making this funky screeching noise. I can't pinpoint where its coming from, but it sounds like passenger side. It increases with speed and gets louder when turning right and stops when turning left. The noise changes in pitch when the brakes are applied.

The noise happens every rotation of the wheel so its a constant on and off noise. Its extremely loud and almost sounds like the dust shield. I put it on a lift today and took all of the wheels off. The dust shields look fine, no binding or pinching. I pulled the calipers off and brakes pads and cleaned up the dirt and regreased the slide pins.

A friend of mine said he thinks he hears it coming from the rear but if its stopping when turning left, I don't think it would be coming from there. My teacher and I were both stumped and I'm not sure where to look except to replace all four calipers. Front pads and rotors were replaced last summer, probably in July. Pads have almost brand new life left on them, and we dial indicated the rotors for runout and they seem fine.

Any help would be much appreciated. I tried pulling the rear calipers off but they're extremely rusty and I didn't want to break any bolts so I didn't remove them.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Put it back on the lift. Start engine, put it in gear and let it free spin the wheels. That should let you replicate the noise and poke around to pin point the noise. It sounds like youre on the right track with the brakes though.

jbrown97ls

Initially thought wheel bearing until you said it changed pitch when you applied the brakes. Do what Muckman said and get it on a lift.

osiris19

Alright, if I have the time tomorrow after my final, I'll ask my instructor to get it back on. Thinking maybe the rear calipers or front calipers are to blame. I'll get back when I find something new.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

osiris19

Just an update, pulled the rear wheels and looked around and couldn't find anything really wrong so I went to throw my fat five on without a tire and told my brother to step on the brake (remember the noise changed when the brakes applied) and I spun the wheel and sure enough there was the noise. It's the driver rear pads or caliper. Thinking the pads are worn completely making the metal wear tab contact the rotor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

osiris19

I changed only the front ones. And they were probably rated EE. Wearever silver pads. I'm not hard on the brake so I don't eat pads much.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3