cheap power

jsleeper81

IMO. It would take a little time and some toolls.
I would take the head off and have it ported and polished.
Not sure what it would cost in your area I have a shop that does it for $125 but he is full profit.
His shop and tools are all payed off so he don't charge an arm and a leg like others normally do
and as some one else said a good oil change and tune up would get your factory power back if you have not already done this.
you could do an underdrive pully but same problem with me stereo would drag mine down that is why I bought a new family car put stereo in there and now making this my toy with a light stereo system.
you can also open your throttle body up a little if you have a drimmel, time and patience not sure how much of a gain but will help with flow.
and if you don't have an intake already now would be the time with a port and polish.
but as said before horse power is not cheap turboe and nos are quick forms of it but can be a bit costy.
IMO I would'nt do NOS to many chances on a street car unless hoocked up properly.
what kind of HP gains are you looking for 5 -25 / 25 - 50 or 50 plus
well best of luck to you hope you get what you are wanting.

Mugen

Hi My Name Is Asimo
Removing components does not INCREASE power, it DECREASES WEIGHT, your horsepower stays the same.

Unless you dive into your internals, your not going to make any "amazing power" besides the power "you feel" from doing small mods that yield minimal gains.
For every 100 pounds lost its 10-12 hp gained.

Mugen

Hi My Name Is Asimo
If you lose weight horsepower is gained. A 100 pounds is alot of weight to remove from a vehicle. When u do that you gain power.

Last edited:

tilegend

Duh!! If you lose weight horsepower is gained. A 100 pounds is alot of weight to remove from a vehicle. When u do that you gain power.
how.... please show me proof.

horsepower = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

where is weight put into this equation?

Mugen

Hi My Name Is Asimo
P-to-w. Ratio is also used for perforamnce of a vehicle whole. With the engines power output being divided by the curb weight of the car, to give u an idea of the accleration.

tilegend

okay that some else thats completely off the wall. power to weight ratio has nothing to do with the horsepower ratings of your engine.

power to weight ratio isnt measured in horsepower... its a ratio..

just because you shave a couple pounds off your car does not change your horsepower.

tilegend

Acouple pounds. Im talking about 100 pounds lost is 10 hp gained.
no... still false..

i just gave you the formula for horsepower...

and it looks like i'll have to type it again:

horsepower = (torque x rpm) / 5252

and i'll ask the same question again... where is the weight of your car put into this equation?

also according to your theory... if i take the engine out and put it on an engine dynamometer it will make astronomical amounts of power right?

i mean it just lost about 2500 lbs?

according to your equation: 2500lbs X 10HP = 25000HP

so that means if i take the engine out of the car i'll automatically have a 25000 increase in HP? on top of what the engine is already making?

mirrorimg

Losing weight will affect acceleration and over all speed, but does not increase "horsepower." Horsepower is the amount of power you engine puts out, and is read either from the crank, or from the wheels. Power to the wheels is less than that at the crank due to the parts that result in the wheels spinning, which is lost. Losing weight still will not affect this power. Take a dyno for instance, run it once, then take all you can out, and run it again. There wont be any difference to the HORSEPOWER reading. so Mugen, you are incorrect.

On the other hand, 100lbs lost is an increase in .01% fuel efficiency, or something along those lines

and by the way, this argument is taking this thread No Where. I suggest we stop argueing before the thread gets CLOSED

Last edited:

TegyDriverYaDig

i drive YA DIGGG
yeah mugen sorry to say but you needa do a little more research on what horsepower is.

btw can we get this straight..there is no such thing as cheap power. anything thats gonna make a huge difference(turbo, supercharger, built motor...) is gonna cost you a couple grand at the least and if you buy a kit for 700 dollars then you blow your engine and a blown engine has no power.