check engine light

emd513

i replaced my head gasket this weekend thinking that would solve all the problems i have been having lately with my car. it helped, but not everything is solved. for a little over a month now every once in a while my check eng. light will come on and stay on for a day or two, then will go back off. everytime it does my ecu throws code 7 throttle positioning sensor. the problem i cant seem to find one at any parts store so i looked in my book and still could not find anything about them on my car. do we have one or not. i dont like this haynes manual its crap. and if not what the hell could it be making it throw like that.

mirrorimg

It really wouldnt do any harm to search. Theres so many threads on here about CEL's and how to read the code. Heck, there is another thread I posted in not more than an hour ago, in this section (second gen forum).

This is how to pull your code.

emd513

i know how to read my ecu. my question was is there tps and where is it and if not what sensor is causing the ecu to throw tps.

mirrorimg

Oh man. I need to put my foot in my mouth, or at least step on my fingers. I didnt catch the TPS part.

Heres a thread on a TPS on a 3rd gen, I cant imagine it would be much further away on a 2nd gen.

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=21792

Pulled up a picture, it is on the back of your throttle body. Its the sensor that is angled downward

emd513

thanks for the info but in our cars that is called the fit valve and it is riveted to the throttle body and cant be removed unless u drill. when i read about it the only thing it does is control my idle, one of the things that would cause your motor to rev up and down. if that is it then i guess it will be messed up for a while they want 250 bucks at the local auto parts store and i can get my upgraded one for 350.

j13

Keep It Clean
thanks for the info but in our cars that is called the fit valve and it is riveted to the throttle body and cant be removed unless u drill. when i read about it the only thing it does is control my idle, one of the things that would cause your motor to rev up and down. if that is it then i guess it will be messed up for a while they want 250 bucks at the local auto parts store and i can get my upgraded one for 350.
I think you asnwered your own question....you know what the problem is...now order the part online.

emd513

yeah i know that is probably going out or out but this just started being sluggish a month ago and that started poping up on the ecu and its been reving up and down for 8 months.i just figured it might be something els that im not catching

mirrorimg

FITV (fast idle thermo valve) is on the bottom of the throttle body. It is separate from the TPS sensor, if you are trying to call what I pointed out as the FITV.

TPS

There is also an IACV (Idle air control valve) on the back of the throttle body, if you want to know all of the fun things in that small vicinity.

emd513

iac is on the actual intake right behind the throttle body, and the haynes book says that what your saying is the tps is the fit valve. i cant find any other sensor around that section, and it also does not show a tps anywhere on it in the book. ive went threw the chapter 5 times to make sure i wasnt overlooking it and still could not find anything on it. the only place it mentions the tps is in the code reader section thats it no where else and when you look it up in the index it says chap 4 and like i said nothing. doesnt even mention it anywhere in it.not trying to be an ass either i was just saying

emd513

i was wrong mirror sorry. i took another look at my book and i was going to chapter 4 not section4 and there they were pointing to the fit valve and it looked like it was going to that sensor. but you are correct it is the tps sensor. i guess i will just have to drill out the rivets and put screws back in it. thanks for the info by the way

mirrorimg

i was wrong mirror sorry. i took another look at my book and i was going to chapter 4 not section4 and there they were pointing to the fit valve and it looked like it was going to that sensor. but you are correct it is the tps sensor. i guess i will just have to drill out the rivets and put screws back in it. thanks for the info by the way
No worries, everyone makes mistakes. I do it all the time ;)

I wouldnt drill them out. I have heard they may be small screws without a head. If you have a dremel, notch the end of it and try unscrewing it, or try using a screw extractor bit before drilling the whole thing through.

Last edited:

emd513

one more. the two black round knobs sitting by the map sensor what r they and what do they do