CI Official DB2 Squad Thread

dlo253

third place? lol... ive been number 3. go thru the thread ond see where we are at if you want a number. Lets see those pics.

jesusfreeke

I have a few NA b17 engine build questionsI have a REAL '92 GS-R DB2 with the ys1 tranny and i plan on keeping it that way so please do not clog this post with ls/vtec, boost, Jspec engine swaps, or such recommendations. This is what I want and this is what I do with this car: I would like to use pump gas (92 octane) and drive this car as a recreational vehicle i.e. around town cruisin, car shows, smokin people around town a little. I will not be doing much if any autocross and definitely not "Competing" at the drag strip, though i might run a few passes, maybe. My compression rings are barely holding 160 psi (on my gauge at least) but if i drip a little oil in for a wet test I see 220, this ol' girl has 170,000 miles on her and I figure since she isnt the young girl she used to be I would hook her up with an overhaul. I am looking to keep as much original stuff as I can and only upgrade where it really counts and will make a difference. I do not want to go crazy with my redline or have all my power at redline. I've got intake, exhaust, and tuning covered, I am looking for strictly engine and head advice with maybe a little throttle body or intake manifold advice too. im not loaded but I have a nice little nest egg set aside for this, I'm a regular guy with a family. I have the know how to remove and assemble an engine properly but will definitly be letting some machinists help me out. So pretty much how can I get some higher compression, more air in the cylinder, and still stay dependable without spending a billion dollars at golden eagle?

I have a few NA b17 engine build questionsI have a REAL '92 GS-R DB2 with the ys1 tranny and i plan on keeping it that way so please do not clog this post with ls/vtec, boost, Jspec engine swaps, or such recommendations. This is what I want and this is what I do with this car: I would like to use pump gas (92 octane) and drive this car as a recreational vehicle i.e. around town cruisin, car shows, smokin people around town a little. I will not be doing much if any autocross and definitely not "Competing" at the drag strip, though i might run a few passes, maybe. My compression rings are barely holding 160 psi (on my gauge at least) but if i drip a little oil in for a wet test I see 220, this ol' girl has 170,000 miles on her and I figure since she isnt the young girl she used to be I would hook her up with an overhaul. I am looking to keep as much original stuff as I can and only upgrade where it really counts and will make a difference. I do not want to go crazy with my redline or have all my power at redline. I've got intake, exhaust, and tuning covered, I am looking for strictly engine and head advice with maybe a little throttle body or intake manifold advice too. im not loaded but I have a nice little nest egg set aside for this, I'm a regular guy with a family. I have the know how to remove and assemble an engine properly but will definitly be letting some machinists help me out. So pretty much how can I get some higher compression, more air in the cylinder, and still stay dependable without spending a billion dollars at golden eagle?
ITR or CTR pistons and rings, ITR/CTR cams, and tune it. If you're not raising your redline you can use the stock B17 valve train with those cams with no issues. Possibly an ITR or other upgraded throttle body. Some port work on the head and a good intake manifold would do well too. Try and stay with a compression ratio of 12.5:1 or less since you want to run pump gas only. Honestly, that isn't a bad at all. You don't need a rebuild desperately.

jesusfreeke

ITR or CTR pistons and rings, ITR/CTR cams, and tune it. If you're not raising your redline you can use the stock B17 valve train with those cams with no issues. Possibly an ITR or other upgraded throttle body. Some port work on the head and a good intake manifold would do well too. Try and stay with a compression ratio of 12.5:1 or less since you want to run pump gas only. Honestly, that isn't a bad at all. You don't need a rebuild desperately.
I'm pretty much at sea level here, do you really think I could go as high as 12.5:1 CR? I was thinking about the CTR pistons but i will be really riding that line of 12.5. I am thinking p30 is the way to go, i don't reall feel comfortable having no room to mill the heads if needed. Also i have decided to concentrate on the heads and since the ys1 has such short gears I am feeling more inclined to amp up the RPM's a bit.

I'm pretty much at sea level here, do you really think I could go as high as 12.5:1 CR? I was thinking about the CTR pistons but i will be really riding that line of 12.5. I am thinking p30 is the way to go, i don't reall feel comfortable having no room to mill the heads if needed. Also i have decided to concentrate on the heads and since the ys1 has such short gears I am feeling more inclined to amp up the RPM's a bit.
You only have one head, so no heads to mill. You'd be fine on CTR pistons.
P30 pistons would be fine as well.
You have no need to rev higher unless you're going with cams that wont fall on their face after 8400.

jesusfreeke

No freebies on the typo huh? Well I do appreciate a nice N/A screamer, that is why I think I will concentrate on the heads and actually build them up real nice and then work on the bottom end ie. MID sleeves with overbore, lightweight race pistons, blah blah more parts and money and all that jazz. But if i go with a more aggressive lift on my vtec lobes, am i gunna run into clearance issues? How much room do i have with the CTR pistons? Anyone actually do this and measure the clearance?

hgocasca

level 77 troll
You only have one head, so no heads to mill. You'd be fine on CTR pistons.
P30 pistons would be fine as well.
You have no need to rev higher unless you're going with cams that wont fall on their face after 8400.
Preach it brother

with CTR pistons
You wont have clearance issues with the CTR pistons and CTR/ITR cams. You wont run into clearance issues unless you mill the shit out of the head or go to something as aggressive as say BC Stg. III cam or something of that nature.
The B16B block and head casting is the same as the B17A (as far as this is concerned). You'll be fine.

jesusfreeke

Thanks for the information, I just always see so much debate over the issue and I like to feel very confident about a mod before I start yankin' and crankin' on my ride. AS you guys well know, DB2's (the real ones not the DA's with a b17 and a GS-R emblem on the back) aren't all that common.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Thanks for the information, I just always see so much debate over the issue and I like to feel very confident about a mod before I start yankin' and crankin' on my ride. AS you guys well know, DB2's (the real ones not the DA's with a b17 and a GS-R emblem on the back) aren't all that common.
I has b17.....no gsr thos. or emblemseseseses. Yeah bro, the 92-93 gsr is less common than an itr, so we all appreciate them and respect them for their rare beauty.

jesusfreeke

Anyone know if those JDM one piece headlights fit our DB2s. It would be kinda nice to have healights that are the same colored glass.