Clear coat on wrinkle paint?

Murphy

Meat Master
So I finally grinder off the stripped nuts on valve cover and was able to get it off and order new studs.

I've primed and painted my valve cover with VHT wrinkle red and it still has about 40 hours to fully dry. After it's done drying I'll bake it in the oven for an hour to cure it.

So here's my question, has anyone sprayed on a clear coat on wrinkle paint after its cured? How well does it hold up?

SoundEfx

It wouldn't hurt it and it would give it a little gloss.

So I guess it depends on the look you're going for.

Murphy

Meat Master
Alright I'll try it, I just want this to be the last damn time I have to paint this thing.

SoundEfx

For a more durable finish, try powder coating it.

96LSteg

Jemel
If you dont clear it, it will have more of an OEM look. If you clear it, then it will add a glossy affect to the OEM look

Nick_C78

Get a brake caliper clear coat. Regular non high temp clear coat will flake off. Also the clear coat is going to look weird over the tacky wrinkle paint, so probably won't look how you picture it in your head.

Murphy

Meat Master
Hmm yeah it would be nice if anyone tried it before me. Yeah I've got high temp engine enamel clear coat. I'd prefer the flat oem look, but I don't want my paint fading or chipping off over time.

I'll try the clear coat and see how it looks. I've got the time to do a proper job.

96LSteg

Jemel
Hopefully baking it will tighten some of those wrinkles up. Towards the side of the oil fill it looks like you got a little over zealous with the paint :lol:

**EDIT**

If you want a more durable VC I'd say powder coating is the direction you should go in. It would only cost like $100 to have it coated and will last almost forever...