Clear coat peelling, suggestions?

Blk_DC

Hello CI, I have these 15" black slipstreams but the clear is coming off..Bored this morning I attempt to restore them.. I've painted many sets of rims before, but they required a larger amount of work...

I decided to sand them with 400grit, respray a black, then clear coat..do you guys agree or does anyone have some better suggestions.

I tested it out on one rim:

Rim before

After a 400grit rubdown

cheap $1 walmart flat black w/ no clear

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

Blk_DC

Get them sand blasted. And if you have the money also powder coated
yea I was just told that by a co-worker lol.. and he mentioned just stripping it with air-craft remover/paint stripper(as I have done before).. But I was wondering if there is a certain grit, or some kind of material out there that could just scuff/remove the flaky clear; I could then use the old base coat as a primer, following a couple good coverage coats of black and clear.

white89hatch

yea I was just told that by a co-worker lol.. and he mentioned just stripping it with air-craft remover/paint stripper(as I have done before).. But I was wondering if there is a certain grit, or some kind of material out there that could just scuff/remove the flaky clear; I could then use the old base coat as a primer, following a couple good coverage coats of black and clear.
That sounds like a pretty solid plan. Use some 2000 grit so it is smooth before you spray the black.

suzuki714

all pictures are blocked I’m at school….. but if it Is any ort of clear on rims it is normally on the original finish. And for painting or polishing that has to be completely removed for a paint job that would last… aircraft stripper works but for the amount of chemical burns I got from it from being on my hands I wish I would have just got them sand blasted. In Milwaukee Wisconsin their is a place where all they do is sand blast and they have their own booths that its 1.25 a min to use them I would look it u in your area. Or ask around someone might have a blast tank that you could use all u need then is a compressor. Hope this helps!
Rep if it does!

Blk_DC

That sounds like a pretty solid plan. Use some 2000 grit so it is smooth before you spray the black.
lol sorry, but which sounds like a solid plan? I'll be sure to keep the 2k grit in mind thanks!

all pictures are blocked I’m at school….. but if it Is any ort of clear on rims it is normally on the original finish. And for painting or polishing that has to be completely removed for a paint job that would last… aircraft stripper works but for the amount of chemical burns I got from it from being on my hands I wish I would have just got them sand blasted. In Milwaukee Wisconsin their is a place where all they do is sand blast and they have their own booths that its 1.25 a min to use them I would look it u in your area. Or ask around someone might have a blast tank that you could use all u need then is a compressor. Hope this helps!
Rep if it does!
yea I don't enjoy using that stripper crap.. it works though.. I've been through this before(trying to obtain a sandblaster & compressor) didn't workout lol. need to get that equipment asap.

scuffing the old clear & base using it as a primer, then laying base and clear. would that eventually lift underneath? Just trying to budget and get these ready as there is a meet coming up locally; still currently Im riding with rusted steelies lol

suzuki714

It will last long enough but not forever. And I did the same thing for automotion I spray boomed my wheels that morning. All I used was a scuff pad acetone and paint. Only about 2 hrs worth of time

white89hatch

If it were me I would use 400 grit, then primer, then wet sand with 2000 grit, then spray black, (maybe do 2000grit again depending how smooth it looks) then clear.