Club Integra, How do you Insure your built cars??

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Ok, lets say you do all your own work and build an awesome track/autocross car that you also use as your DD.

In parts alone its not uncommon to drop 10k, yet even in mint condition the kbb (kelly blue book) value of your car may not be over 5k.

How do you insure your car against all the idiots who cant drive out there or even your own mistakes?

while searching for the answer at insurance agencies I was repeatedly told that I should only get state minimum coverage for any car over ten years old. And no one had an answer to the modification question.

I cannot believe that anyone who has restored a '69 Camero or other classic car would be willing to take the risk of ever driving said car without full replacement coverage.. there must be something for imports as well.

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Ryan659

Get it appraised and have it insured for the replacement value. Or tell the insurance company you want it insured at x value and to charge you appropriately. They are just trying to get you the cheapest deal. If you are adamant you can get what you want.

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Or tell the insurance company you want it insured at x value and to charge you appropriately.
This could get expensive... How would that work when deciding if a car is totaled?

I must need to talk to a higher up then.. everyone I grilled just kept getting this lost look like "an old car thats worth... money?" lol

Nick_C78

You have to be careful though, some mods, especially suspension mods may void your policy completely. So make sure you read the fine print, before agreeing to pay a higher amount. I personally wouldn't go the appraisal route, because those people don't know wtf they are looking at. Just remember about insurance people, their job is to get as much money as possible from you, while giving you as little as possible.

You are better off getting liability and just start a savings account for yourself for a rainy day. Thats just my opinion though.

Ryan659

You have to be careful though, some mods, especially suspension mods may void your policy completely. So make sure you read the fine print, before agreeing to pay a higher amount. I personally wouldn't go the appraisal route, because those people don't know wtf they are looking at. Just remember about insurance people, their job is to get as much money as possible from you, while giving you as little as possible.

You are better off getting liability and just start a savings account for yourself for a rainy day. Thats just my opinion though.
I agreed with you but if the car is to be insured as a "classic" then the insurance will probably require an appraisal (educated guess). However, just because someone has 10k into the car does not mean its value is 10k. Integra's aren't rare cars at all. I wasn't giving advice of what he should do but more so trying to answer his specific question.

XjoEnX

Insurance only goes so far as the actual value of the car. You will never get back the amount you spend on the the mods you make in the event of an accident. To piggyback on what Nick said, unless the agent you work is fine with the mods and can include it in your policy (which is a very unlikely), you can only insure it as you would any other car. Alarms and other security features help in a cheaper policy though.

If you were ever in an accident and the appraiser looks at your car, the chances of him including damage of aftermarket parts is small. The only way to really make it is if you talk with him and educate him in realizing the value of it, which he might help with, but probably won't if he doesn't care.

sinisterDB

get full coverage and keep receipts for everything, if they wont pay for everything in the event of an accident. if you have your old parts you can always throw them back on and not take a huge loss.

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
^^ doesnt work like that! i poored over 10K into my first teg (including purchase of car) kept all recipts and everything when i tottaled the car even with full coverage they only offered me 2600 for the car, not until a guy came out and appraised the car for 7200 is when i got that amount for my car. took 3 months of back n forth with insurence company, but EVEN than they didnt include all the aftermarket parts on the car, (even when i gave them a binder of full recipts/ and eventory of all parts!)so my agent told me to take off all the parts that i wanted b4 they hauled the car away. i didnt even replace the parts...

ONLY way to insure your car is get is appraised by the insurence company that they hire(not your own apprasior) and in a event of a tottal lost or(accident stolen) they will give you the total value of your car that it was appraised at. Yes it is expensive but that what it takes to keep your car safe and make sure your at peice of mind so dont get screwed by the insurence company. remember they want to give you the least amount of money to you.

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
^^ doesnt work like that! i poored over 10K into my first teg (including purchase of car) kept all recipts and everything when i tottaled the car even with full coverage they only offered me 2600 for the car, not until a guy came out and appraised the car for 7200 is when i got that amount for my car. took 3 months of back n forth with insurence company, but EVEN than they didnt include all the aftermarket parts on the car, (even when i gave them a binder of full recipts/ and eventory of all parts!)so my agent told me to take off all the parts that i wanted b4 they hauled the car away. i didnt even replace the parts...

ONLY way to insure your car is get is appraised by the insurence company that they hire(not your own apprasior) and in a event of a tottal lost or(accident stolen) they will give you the total value of your car that it was appraised at. Yes it is expensive but that what it takes to keep your car safe and make sure your at peice of mind so dont get screwed by the insurence company. remember they want to give you the least amount of money to you.
this... because the insurance company has the right to refuse your aftermarket parts for coverage. why would you expect coverage for parts you aren't paying for annually? if you do not want to do this. keep your receipts and go to small claims court directly against the other person at fault for what the insurance company won't cover.

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Thanks for all the feedback!

Im assuming there is no way to cover labor if you do it yourself? I hunt for deals and do all my own work (except machining) so...

I Just have a 93 civic (kbb<2k in most conditions) that im putting all this integra stuff into.. maybe not the most well thought out plan from an insurance standpoint..

You have to be careful though, some mods, especially suspension mods may void your policy completely.
ALL the suspension is AM or integra oem.. :???:

What about full engine swaps/builds? same deal? Obviously I cant show the appraiser my high comp pistons or p&p head...

Ryan659

Thanks for all the feedback!

Im assuming there is no way to cover labor if you do it yourself? I hunt for deals and do all my own work (except machining) so...

I Just have a 93 civic (kbb<2k in most conditions) that im putting all this integra stuff into.. maybe not the most well thought out plan from an insurance standpoint..

ALL the suspension is AM or integra oem.. :???:

What about full engine swaps/builds? same deal? Obviously I cant show the appraiser my high comp pistons or p&p head...
Lol, you can't insure everything man. You're gonna have to accept some risk or just not drive. And it's not worth insuring everything little thing. You'll end up paying more in insurance than the car is worth

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
There are insurance companies that will insure the car, along with an overall allowance for aftermarket parts. I'm looking into one, along with renters insurance in case of theft. Both of these I am still looking into, but when I get more information, I will be sure to post my results. But as of now, I'm pretty sure I can get full coverage and 5k allowance on parts for around $160/ month