Clunk in front end?

djintegra

Ok here's my problem. Ever since I bought my 01 GSR a few months ago, it has had this clunk up front. Coming from the drivers side. When Im going slow and turning the wheel sharp it will clunk/pop pretty loud. Especially when moving from reverse to 1st. Also, sometimes when im coming to a stop, and let off the brakes a little, ill feel something shift. Like the steering wheel will actually shift to the right slightly.

I bought it lowered with Neuspeed Race springs and kyb shocks. Since I've owned it, I replaced the tires, axles and had an alignment done and the clunk is still there. I jacked it up and checked for play in the wheel and its solid. No play at all. The wheel spins smoothly. So it doesn't seem to be my tie rods, ball joints, or bearings.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Only thing i can really think of is maybe control arm bushings or something with the springs/struts? I dont know. Has anybody else had this problem? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks for any insight.

jason86

How long has it been since youve replaced those axles? That sounds like the problem to me. Hopefully you got it warrantied, so you can pop it off, take it in and get a new one... If not, theyre usually not that expensive from parts dealers. Or try lookin around in the classifieds...

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
check your ball joints too. I know they take a pretty good beating the way our suspension is set up. Idk about rocking the wheel, but it could be that they're just that bad. =/

djintegra

the clunking has been the same with the old axles and the new ones. when i checked for play in the wheel, i really cranked on it 12 and 6 and 9 and 3 and it's solid. im going to get under the car tomorrow and look at the bushings.

i also noticed that the car will pull a little when i get on the gas hard and pull the opposite way when i let off. something is moving out of spec.

Spyke

i have the same clunking noise in my 92 and i also have fairly new axles....i was told it was the cv joint

96tegra

Detailer/Mechanic
1. Sway bar links would cause a popping on braking and turning
2. Caliper MAY be sticking but highly unlikely
3. Your axle seals are bad which defeat the purpose of holding the axle causing it to still click.

Id say its more than likely your links but check it out and let us know. Wheel bearings you dont always feel. Jsyn.

Da-92integra-rs

I got my 92 integra rs 1.8 a month ago and it clunks when I shift it dont do it all the time and some time when I let off the clutch and take off slow I can feel something shift/move I have no idea what it is do you guys have any idea

black94lsteg

It might be a long shot but have you guys check out motor mounts if worn out they can cause allighnment issues with drive axles and might cause the clunking when up shift and down shift

djintegra

well i just ordered new energy suspension bushings for the front control arms to see if that works. i also bit the bullet and got new driveshaftshop.com level 0 axles. im going to pull the entire front suspension off the car and find out what the problem is. just waiting for a decent day to do all the work.

djintegra

just an update. the clunk ended up being my upper control arm. the previous owner installed some cheap camber adjusters on the stock control arms and they came loose and were shifting around. i installed new oem control arms and it fixed the problem. my car is fun to drive now.