Clutch Cable Adjustment

sportsma1539

Well I got the new engine in and it runs great. But I'm having an issue with my clutch pedal. When I push the pedal in and begin to release it, the pedal does not spring up with my foot. It does come back up but Its like there is some resistance. Ive tightened the clutch cable on the tranny and it seems to help some but I'm not sure if that is the problem. I still have more threads on the adjustment for tightening it up but its starting to get hard to tighten up. What do you think the problem is??

Oh and the clutch pedal releases at the very top. I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

sportsma1539

Well I may have just answered my own question. I looked at some pics of engine bays and I routed my clutch cable the wrong way. Could that cause this to happen??

acclude

cheap bastard
Yes, that could definitely cause it especially if the cable is being over-stretched which would bring the engagement point to the top of the pedal like you described.

sportsma1539

Yes, that could definitely cause it especially if the cable is being over-stretched which would bring the engagement point to the top of the pedal like you described.
I think the way i routed it made it not stretched out enough.

sportsma1539

So having the cable too tight makes the clutch pedal release more towards the top?? What about the clutch not wanting to spring back up immediately with my foot?? Is there any adjustment on the pedal itself?? I know on hydro trannys you can adjust the push rod that goes into the master cylinder but what about cable trannys?? Im starting to think the cable is bad

acclude

cheap bastard
OK, I misread your first post. For some reason I took it as the engagement point was right at the top based on your last senatnce "the clutch pedal releases at the very top. I dont know if that has anything to do with it."

It sounds like the cable is too loose. The exact opposite of what I said before! lol

You need to re-route the cable appropriately and then adjust it. Try that and see if your problem goes away.

JdMrican88

Prince of 2nd Generation
yea def re line it only time that ever happened to me was wen i dropped in my new clutch i hit the clutch pedal to the floor and it stood there lol i was at a light so i pulled it back up and it never happened again i guess it took some breaking in

sportsma1539

Well today I routed the clutch cable correctly and it didn't help any. I tightened it down till I could no longer tighten it by hand(couldn't see anymore threads below the nut. I think it has a few more turns in it but I wouldn't think I would have to tighten it down all the way. So today I jacked up the car and took it the tires off the front. I cranked the car up, and left it in neutral and obviously the hubs didnt turn. I then put the car in gear and left my foot all the way on the clutch pedal and the hub started to turn with the clutch pushed in. I'm pretty sure it needs more adjusting and I'm starting to think the clutch cable is bad. Coincidentaly the guy that I bought the car from passed me today when I was working on the car and stopped and talked to me for a second. He said the clutch pedal did seem to have some resistance when pulling it up from the floor when he had it. The pedal doesnt stick to the floor, it just has a slight hesitation when springing back up.

Also, what is the seal called that the shift linkage stabilizer bar connects to in the transmission?? Im leaking oil from there and I think I need to replace it.

sportsma1539

Well after a little reading and a better understanding of a cable clutch, I think I have it too tight now. Since it releases at the very top, it needs to be loosened to get closer to the floor. I'm thinking once i adjust it, I'm still gonna have a problem with my pedal having some drag in it. Could it be the return spring??