clutch install problems now grinding

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
ok so idk if it is linked but I just got my clutch installed at a shop now I have some new problems. first one is that the clutch pedal is really easy to push down and I have about 2in of free play on the clutch. Its making my new throw out bearing squeal but when I rest my foot on the clutch pedal it goes away. my second problem is that it now grinds going into third at or over 3rpm. is my gear bad? my syncro had a little grind before I changed my tranny fluid. but it didn't grind again now I just installed the new clutch about 3 days ago it has about 200 miles on it an just started grinding harder yesterday. what's wrong what do I need to fix and how do I fix the squeaking TOB. I can upload a video is it helps

TheCrimsonStar

The squeal is probably not the throwout bearing. Bleed your clutch line and get ALL the air out of it. Mine did it too. It's coming from the ball on the end of the slave cylinder. After I changed my clutch that ball squealed so I bled the lines, cleaned the spot on the transmission fork where the ball sits, cleaned the ball as well and greased the slot. The squealing stopped. As for the grind, if there is any air in the lines when you depress your clutch pedal there isn't enough pressure to fully release the pressure plate. Bleed your lines, and also put some synchromesh in your tranny. That helps with grinds from synchros.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
can somebody put some pics on here so I can see where to grease idk where the parts are so its helps me faster. just upload a video

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
First off there are two adjustments for free travel, one adjustment will determine how far up the clutch comes, the other is the lower limit on clutch engagement. Most people prefer their clutch to completely disengage/engage immediately off the floor, and then the rest of the travel will be free play for the diaphragm springs.

Your bearing noise may be from a bad bearing or incorrect installation. Nothing else, you do not grease the bearing so grease has nothing to do with that. I didn't watch the video when I pm'd you so I was misunderstanding your problem.

I can't say for sure but it sounds like you may have the clutch bearing installed incorrectly, this would cause both symptoms of being noisy and cause excessive free travel.

EDIT: I would def try what they said about grease on the slave ball before tearing anything else apart, never had this happen but if it cures your noise you can go from there.

Last edited:

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
First off there are two adjustments for free travel, one adjustment will determine how far up the clutch comes, the other is the lower limit on clutch engagement. Most people prefer their clutch to completely disengage/engage immediately off the floor, and then the rest of the travel will be free play for the diaphragm springs.

Your bearing noise may be from a bad bearing or incorrect installation. Nothing else, you do not grease the bearing so grease has nothing to do with that. I didn't watch the video when I pm'd you so I was misunderstanding your problem.

I can't say for sure but it sounds like you may have the clutch bearing installed incorrectly, this would cause both symptoms of being noisy and cause excessive free travel.

EDIT: I would def try what they said about grease on the slave ball before tearing anything else apart, never had this happen but if it cures your noise you can go from there.
ok also could it be the slave or master cylinder? and how do I know if they are bad? also sometimes theirs this loud click from clutch pedal

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Not causing that noise, just try to grease the ball first and see what happens. Also you said you took it to a mechanic, why not take it back and explain the issues for him?

He shouldn't have given the car back to you if it was making that noise or had that clutch adjustment.

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
Not causing that noise, just try to grease the ball first and see what happens. Also you said you took it to a mechanic, why not take it back and explain the issues for him?

He shouldn't have given the car back to you if it was making that noise or had that clutch adjustment.
I did. they said its nothing they can do about it and the cant adjust the clutch pedal. and sorry I meant for it grinding into third hard could it be slave/mater cylinder going out? cause I have a soft clutch now and before I replaced my clutch it was hard

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It could be numerous things, no way to tell where I'm at. Sounds like you need a new mechanic, that's a s***ty way to treat a customer and they're f***ing idiots if they can't adjust the clutch pedal. They should have adjusted the pedal when they installed the new clutch, that's part of the process you're paying for.

Last edited:

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
It could be numerous things, no way to tell where I'm at. Sounds like you need a new mechanic, that's a s***ty way to treat a customer and they're f***ing idiots if they can't adjust the clutch pedal. They should have adjusted the pedal when they installed the new clutch, that's part of the process you're paying for.
I felt like that too. I asked and rephrased the question but same answer. that's why I do my own work unless idk about something new. ill try and figure it out tomorrow. and how do I fix the oft pedal?

blxxlee

i had the same noise on my ls motor and when resting the foot on the pedal it goes away. Most likely the shop forgot to grease the fork where the ball from the slave cylinder rests on. I put some grease and it went away. As far as the grinding, it could be a failing cmc or slave as well. But before doing changing out parts I would start with changing out the tranny fluid to as someone mentioned synchromesh to see if it helps.

72Spitfire

Get a lawyer and sue the garage that did it. Document everything. It should work correctly before they give the car back to you. This is the reason I just do everything myself anymore. NO ONE is reliable.