Clutch or Tranny?

jkh93teggy

ok so my DA doesnt want to shift into 1st sometimes. if im going maybe 5 mph or so which is more or less when im doing a california stop and go from 2nd to 1st or nuetral to first it doesnt want to go into first gear i have to shove it in which id rather not do so i just go to 2nd. and my mechanic said its my clutch. my friend says its my tranny. i personally think its the clutch im not much of a mechanic but with my experience with driving a standard it just feels like the clutch isnt gripping first gear. then again i think its the tranny cause every other gear is perfectly fine so it makes me think 1st gear is just going out in my tranny. so i figured i'd let you guys be the judge. think its my clutch? or should i just throw a whole new tranny in? also note when im completely stopped it goes into first with no problem at all. and my tranny has never slipped gears ever least i dont consider this problem slipping a gear but who knows?

Joshmmc

It's neither. Your car doesn't have a problem. All Integra transmissions as far as I know have a feature that makes it difficult to shift into first gear while in motion. It can be made easier by rev matching, but generally, you just either stick to second, or stop completely, then move into first. There is rarely a benefit to shifting into first while in motion since by the time you're rolling, second gear is far more practical.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
its not really a feature, but what makes it easy for you to shift into different gears is a piece in the transmission called "syncro's". There's no syncro for 1st or reverse. which is also why your tranny doesnt like to go into reverse when youre moving.

but yes, like josh said, there's nothing wrong with your car and your mechanic seems to be wanting to make money off you... which is sad. lol