Clutch replacement and flywheel questions.

Jesse_Heck

I think i broke a spring in my clutch because the it still grabs fine but the pedal has less resistance, and the clutch has over 150,000 miles and it has clutch chatter. Im going to replace it with an OEM clutch to avoid any issues with reliability. My question is that, do i need to resurface my flywheel or can i just clean it real good? Also, does hard or fast shifts break clutch springs or cause my clutch to have future clutch chatter?
Its just a 91 integra LS by the way, stock motor, trans and driveline.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
If it hasnt been done before, resurfacing is probably a good idea but i would continue to look up its service interval recommended by honda. The more wear and tear you apply to a clutch the faster it will wear out. Thats about all i will say about aggressive shifting.

Nick_C78

Exedy stage 1 will suit your aggressive shift needs way more than an OEM clutch. It is a decent price too, and is a very reliable option, imo. Also, I would resurface the flywheel at the very least personally. 150k miles is a lot and is likely very uneven. That being said though, if you take the OEM flywheel off, might as well get a lighter one for it..Not really worth putting that tank back on. Like I said though at the very least though resurface your current flywheel so your new clutch breaks in properly.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The springs that go around the hub are for the damper, this absorbs engine vibrations and helps dampen torque transfer to the differential.

The pressure plate has a cone spring and diaphragm spring (although they look nothing like a spring) that would control peddle tension. They will lose tension over time but since this will not nessesarily affect clamping pressure I wouldn't make it a reason to replace the clutch.

As for replacing the clutch, it is a good idea to get the flywheel resurfaced, however if you are able to check the runout and surface flatness then you may not need to. I usually just buff it myself however I feel I am more experienced to make such a call so you may want to spend the $20 and have it resurfaced.

About hard or fast shifts, you need to clarify what you mean.

ssbpdc2R

my exedy stage 1 only lasted 20k miles before springs busted out! Not really a aggressive driver either.

Nick_C78

Was the pressure plate properly torqued and was it broken in properly? Mine has lasted 30k miles and 4 track days so far with 0 issues. Also, has tons of meat left on it the last time I inspected it...which was last month. In fact it looked like it did the day I bought it. Wearing very nicely.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
my exedy stage 1 only lasted 20k miles before springs busted out! Not really a aggressive driver either.
Yes I'm sorry but I would like to see pictures of this clutch after it failed to possibly diagnose the cause of failure. Our clutches are the best in the industry and long clutch life is one thing we pride ourselves in.

TheCrimsonStar

WTF Greg works for Exedy -_- I had to check your FB. :ibjealous:
Yeah it's like 10 minutes from my house lol. I drive by it all the time.

Kinda weird how the factory isn't on one of the main roads...it's off some side road in the backwater of Knox county lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
We're the main manufacturing plant in the US. We produce only oem parts here, lots of torque converters for the domestics, and some clutch/flywheels for civics, subarus, mazdas, etc.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I got a exedy stage 0.. as in oe replacement. :mrgreen: Got it used from hmo, probably 15-25k miles on it (at least) and probably driving on it for 2 years now.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Fuck Exedy :lol: jk, I just don't care for them. Not to say I wouldn't try a stage 1 next time if I got a good deal from a very sexy moderator on here :pimp:
When I broke my spring in my EXEDY clutch, it wouldn't go into gear. Basically made it where I had no clutch. I go bad on my clutch, so I expect it to go out quicker than normal