Clutch replacement

wite2nr

So, I am replacing my clutch tomorrow (let my friend drive the car last weekend, doesn't know how to drive stick). Car will go into gear when off, but when on car will not go into gear. Grinding noise heard when tried to be pushed into gear. If i'm at the right RPM I can work the car into gear, but that was just to get home. The car has been parked all week .. So I bought a replacement Exedy clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing (what we think went bad), and pilot bearing). I own and have read through the Haynes manual, but am still a little iffy on doing it myself. I've helped to remove engines, but never dropped the tranny. My question is, is there anything in particular that I should watch out for. Any suggestions before I attempt this tomorrow? Also, can anybody point me to a site with instructions (besides Haynes manual) maybe with pictures that will help me out with this? I will be doing the replacement with my dad who knows a lot about american cars and engines, but not much about Honda's. I know it will be harder on my car compared to his cars because of FWD. Only other option is pay the local honda mechanic 300 to have it put in. Hopefully I will finish in time to do my skunk2 springs/shocks tomorrow too.

wite2nr

1993 LS, B18A, YS1 tranny, 100% stock.. i'm about to go pick up some MTF from honda then get this done today

wite2nr

Well, I figured out the source of the noise...

...moral of the story, don't let other people drive your car. Looked like the top and right side was about to pop out. It was rattling around and there were little metal shavings all over the place.

Also, the TOB was a little rusty since the car was in HI for 2 years. I think it was the original OEM clutch, as it was a 1 owner car and she was an old lady. This is becoming much more of a project than I anticipated. I need to get the flywheel resurfaced and there are no shops open today so it will have to wait until the week. Here's the goodies - -

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
New light flywheel > resurfaced stock flywheel

wite2nr

no $$$ = resurfaced stock flywheel

besides, its basically a stock LS. no crazy boost plans or anything like that, just some bolt ons.

IntegrasAreBest

Honda / Acura Fanatic
let us know if that solves your problem, you might have bent your shift linkage, I'm thinking it could also be your input shaft bearing

wite2nr

let us know if that solves your problem, you might have bent your shift linkage, I'm thinking it could also be your input shaft bearing
i dont think that the linkage is bent, looks to be fine. also, what is the input shaft bearing? also, when it happened that night, when the car was off, i could put it in gear. but when i started the car, pushed in the clutch, car would not go into gear. i had to start the car in gear, it would move like still in gear (with the clutch in) then let off like the clutch finally engaged. once i had the car in, i could only shift at certain RPMs, very rough getting in gear, grinding, etc. also, with the clutch pushed in 1/2 way, there was a noise that sounded like a loud bearing spinning. I only drove the car to get it home.

as of now i have the tranny back on, just need to finish bolting up the mounts, connect the wires and hoses. then i have to put on the axles, connect the suspension, then i should be good to go. i've never done anything like this, so it is taking a long time. only concern is doing the CV boots right (just going to reuse the same ones as the lady just got new boots before i bought it), never done that before.