Clutch shudder, car shaking

jackacc

Started happening recently. We have to swap the cars around alot at my house to make room, get stuff out of the garage etc. My driveway is on a very slight incline. Lately when I have been starting the car in the morning to move it out of the way so my wife can get out of the garage, it shakes and shudders as I let the clutch out in 1st gear. Almost feels like it would if I was not giving it enough gas and it was about to stall, but I definitely am giving it the right blend of clutch and gas.

I don't notice it once the car warms up and I am taking off from stop lights on my way to work. But it seems to be worse when the car is cold and I am just shuffling it around, pulling it back up the driveway.

Shakes pretty bad.

What could this be? Any ideas where to start?

jackacc

check your spark plugs.
What should I check them for?

They were all tight, not sure about the gaps though, I need a gauge.

They were all pretty much dry and not too dirty.

We had a problem years ago on my wifes automatic protege where the mechanic forgot to tighten the plugs and the same kind of shuddering thing happened, but that was an auto.

skoodles

I <3 Vanessa
atleast it doesn't shake like mine. 85a innovative mounts and a act performance clutch kit. gets pretty annoying after a while.

what clutch is in the car?

jackacc

I believe it is the stock clutch

I checked a few things

The motor mounts and trans mounts all look good and they are not "giving" any more than they should.

I had a tiny drip on the master cylinder inside near the clutch pedal but there was no puddle inside or under the carpet. Slave cylinder was not leaking.

CV axles all look good, no leaks, no play

One thing I did notice just now is that when I let the clutch out, there is a whistling sound. Clutch in = goes away, clutch out = whistle. TO bearing?

slambedcivic

Replace your clutch master cylinder. If its leaking its leaking down in the middle of the night or while it sits. If you cant afford this or dont have the experience to do so. Then before you get into the car check the clutch fluid level. If thats good then when you get in the car, before you start it, pump the clutch pedal a few times to regain pressure. It sounds like youre shutter is coming from the clutch not disengaging fully since the clutch master cylinder having fluid bleed off.

jackacc

Replace your clutch master cylinder. If its leaking its leaking down in the middle of the night or while it sits. If you cant afford this or dont have the experience to do so. Then before you get into the car check the clutch fluid level. If thats good then when you get in the car, before you start it, pump the clutch pedal a few times to regain pressure. It sounds like youre shutter is coming from the clutch not disengaging fully since the clutch master cylinder having fluid bleed off.

I just took it for a spin and as soon as the car warms up a little it functions perfectly. Maybe this is because I use the clutch a few times to get out of the garage and driveway, then this pumps it back up again.

Clutch fluid level is right at the top, I checked that today as well. I will try to pump the clutch a few times next time the car sits for a bit to see if that helps.

I think I can change the MC myself, it doesn't look too bad, I just can't afford it right now (spent all my $ on new suspension :roll: :) ) MC will be my next purchase I guess! Thanks!

slambedcivic

I just took it for a spin and as soon as the car warms up a little it functions perfectly. Maybe this is because I use the clutch a few times to get out of the garage and driveway, then this pumps it back up again.

Clutch fluid level is right at the top, I checked that today as well. I will try to pump the clutch a few times next time the car sits for a bit to see if that helps.

I think I can change the MC myself, it doesn't look too bad, I just can't afford it right now (spent all my $ on new suspension :roll: :) ) MC will be my next purchase I guess! Thanks!
Its warmed up, but that doesnt have anything to do with it, just as you said. Once you pump it up a few times it gets normal again. I just did this in my GSR. Hope this is the problem and you get it fixed.

jackacc

Its warmed up, but that doesnt have anything to do with it, just as you said. Once you pump it up a few times it gets normal again. I just did this in my GSR. Hope this is the problem and you get it fixed.
Yeah I will try this once I get back from vacation. Before I move the car, I'll pump the clutch a bunch of times. I can totally live with it like this in the meantime until I can fix it properly. I hope that is all it was.

master_tech

I believe it is the stock clutch

I checked a few things

The motor mounts and trans mounts all look good and they are not "giving" any more than they should.

I had a tiny drip on the master cylinder inside near the clutch pedal but there was no puddle inside or under the carpet. Slave cylinder was not leaking.

CV axles all look good, no leaks, no play

One thing I did notice just now is that when I let the clutch out, there is a whistling sound. Clutch in = goes away, clutch out = whistle. TO bearing?
this same issue started happening to my 94 when the cold winter weather started. it was most pronounced during initial applications and went away as the car was driven and warmed up. i have since replaced the clutch assembly and the issue is gone. after removing the stock clutch assembly, i inspected it and noticed that the clutch disc friction material was worn and almost exposed the clutch disc rivets.

i have to agree with you that it’s the stock clutch.