Clutch went

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
So today i was going from the business loop onto the highway, i went to downshift from 5th to 4th but instead accidently went into second...let the clutch out and started bouncing off the limiter at 70mph. Next came the burning smell and my clutch went completely light. It goes into gear but refuses to accelerate, it just revs as im driving. Any suggestions on which clutch i should get. I figure since it's going to be changed I can put a heavier one in since I plan on doing work to it down the road...thanks

bradster101

Yea i would like to know this myself...

Ive heard that ACT stage 2 is a lil stronger but yet still daily drive... but as with everything else there are way too many damn choices lol

mirrorimg

You need to do a leakdown test to see how many valves you mangled. When you miss-shift like that you usually do some pretty big damage to the valves, and sometimes they float enough to make contact with the pistons.

If you have nothing done to the motor internally, and don't plan on building it or boosting it, then a stock replacement clutch will be fine. You are not, and will not, make enough power to warrant a heavier duty clutch with just bolt ons.

Last edited:

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
You need to do a leakdown test to see how many valves you mangled. When you miss-shift like that you usually do some pretty big damage to the valves, and sometimes they float enough to make contact with the pistons.

If you have nothing done to the motor internally, and don't plan on building it or boosting it, then a stock replacement clutch will be fine. You are not, and will not, make enough power to warrant a heavier duty clutch with just bolt ons.
I just ordered an Exedy OEM replacement kit off of CI. As for the leakdown test I didnt think I needed one since it just bounced off the limiter, am I wrong?

mirrorimg

If you were going 70 mph, your engine cannot cycle at those RPM's in second gear. Your tach wont let it go up that high, and your fuel will cut off, but the inertia will still cause the internals to spin at that rate.

What you saw happening to the tach has no bearing on what was happening inside of the motor.

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
If you were going 70 mph, your engine cannot cycle at those RPM's in second gear. Your tach wont let it go up that high, and your fuel will cut off, but the inertia will still cause the internals to spin at that rate.

What you saw happening to the tach has no bearing on what was happening inside of the motor.
So I went out and started it today to try and move it onto a lift at work, I didnt hear any valve noise, or any type of motor noise for that matter. So I guess I got lucky this time.

bradster101

would you reccommend their F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch & Chromoly Ltw Flywheel? I need something that can take abuse (like everyday lol) but still be a dd...

Rich-PMS

i'd step up to the stage 2 to play it safe.

all the stuff that i've read said the pedal is just as soft as stock, and VERY street-able.

i had a stage 3 6puck in my Z, and i daily drove it in rush hour traffic, it's not that hard to do.

to be honest, i LOVE the feel of 6puck clutches, and the stiffness of aftermarket pressure plates. i dont like soft pedals at all