coilovers: I need specific help with specific questions.

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
Hello all.
I have a 93 civic that I am attempting to make sexy. (its Integra everywhere it counts ie engine, suspension, ect.)
my big plans for my car and they start with a decent suspension.

Budget: 500-700 in hand.
I dont really want to spend more as I have lots of things to buy.. AND already did this once... hence the post. that being said I need satisfaction. (more on that in current setup.) I know from my research that the two camps on this forum are either "best of the best to go get milk and F you if you dont have 6k in suspension mods" and "do a little more than you think you need", with the occasional troll asking "why are $28 coilovers not commonplace?" :shock:

Needs/wants: dropped at LEAST 2" up front and 2" in back (wheel gap hurts my eyes), stop feathering on the insides of all four tires (partially due to alignment being out), tight cornering... real tight, and i need to not bottom out on these downtown Savannah streets. This is my daily and currently my only driver and I like to autocross whenever possible. LESS WHEEL HOP!

Current setup: I currently have skunk2 lowering springs (2.5" front 2.25" back) over tokiko blue HP shocks (I thought they were as stiff as the whites for some reason but hp does not stand for high performance... it stands for short). The front was too low/soft (rubbing) so I bashed out the pinch weld and screwed in spacers, +3/4" in front (should look into bumpstops).
All control arms are off an integra for those glorious sway bars (and rear discs).:D
also those top stabilizer bars.. 8) bc they were there already 8)

The question(s):
1) Coilovers or some quality shocks?
2) Best coilovers for my needs as stated above?
3)these any good? skunk2 pro s-2..

I have read ground control over Konis, Junk2 this Tien that and all kinds of reviews such as this review board but opinions are great but not worth much unless you know what you are talking about. so rather than just what worked best for my friends friend, Im asking for WHY you think one is better than the other...
talking:
  • spring/dampening rates,
  • adjust-ability,
  • quality,
  • design flaws/perks.
  • ability to ride in sss mode ect..
Thanks for any input but especially input that is informative and or experienced... (be sweet to hear from any frequents with cool builds like OG, Samurai ect.. :p)

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I got Megan Racing coilovers on my Miata. Very easy to adjust ride height and dampening. Ride height can be adjusted without messing with the spring perch and can be done quickly, dampening is adjustable via a knob on the top of each strut to 32 different levels. Still newer, less than 1 year, and holding up great. They probably won't last too long. Ground clearance in the summer is about 3" and shock dampening is set to be very firm (in track stiffness range) I rarely bottom out but the splitter and diffuser scrape sometimes.

Front rarely scrapes, suspension handles well going over bumps. Very firm but car does not bounce around too much on the road. The car handles like a slot car.

Top adjustable bit of the shock (kinda)

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
For your budget i would say Koni with Ground Control. I really dislike the way I was snubbed by them recently (unrelated), but that kit is awesome. It is height adjustable and damping adjustable. With an entry level coilover you dont usually have the option to preload the springs which is alright. But with a ground control kit they shouldnt flop about.

Ryan659

• spring/dampening rates,
  • adjust-ability,
  • quality,
  • design flaws/perks.
  • ability to ride in sss mode ect..
I have Tein Street basis and they are okay.

Spring rates: 8k front, 6k rear
Adjustability: height only :(
Quality: good enough for the price
Design flaws: not stiff enough for my height, I rub slightly the front when taking corners when the car bounces
Perks: they are green so they match my car :)
SSS mode: no

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364926814.090724.jpg

joshuathewolf

Broke but no Joke
I got Megan Racing coilovers on my Miata. Very easy to adjust ride height and dampening. Ride height can be adjusted without messing with the spring perch and can be done quickly, dampening is adjustable via a knob on the top of each strut to 32 different levels. Still newer, less than 1 year, and holding up great. They probably won't last too long. ]

I am liking what i see except the 12 hundred doll hairs. AND the part you said about them not lasting long?? Just dd and occasional autocross will they not last 100k miles??

XjoEnX

Ask dopematic and goofygamer on their thoughts of the Koni/Ground Control combo. When I asked them they left glowing reviews about its quality and performance. I'm about ready to ditch my Progress CS-II's for this same set up.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I am liking what i see except the 12 hundred doll hairs. AND the part you said about them not lasting long?? Just dd and occasional autocross will they not last 100k miles??
Probably not, Megan Racing is sort of an off-brand. Their products are known to be of a lower to mid range quality. The internals of their suspension parts are known to fail before other brands. They seem to be starting to make higher quality products but it just may be that they are gaining popularity so their products are around a bit more. The coilovers came on my car only a few months old, and so far I have no complaints. I dd my car and I plan on autocross this summer. The first time I heard of Megan Racing was when I was on eBay looking for a cheap $120 range header, their parts are cheaper but they don't last all that long.

I had the Koni setup before on my old Integra. The Yellow struts with the Ground Control sleeves. The setup was pretty old by the time I got the car and I don't think they have the exact product anymore (it was a full coilover using the Yellows/GC) Despite it's age and rust it worked pretty well. I never adjusted the ride height or anything but the car handled well and ride quality was pretty good.

pinatigerdc4

It can get pretty pricey. I ran your exact setup before. Now I have function forms type 1. Costed 440$. I really like them. Ive been commuting for a couple weeks they handle well on bumpy freeways even at high speeds. And on the street you have a real smooth ride. Highly recommend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

gsr_nikhil

It can get pretty pricey. I ran your exact setup before. Now I have function forms type 1. Costed 440$. I really like them. Ive been commuting for a couple weeks they handle well on bumpy freeways even at high speeds. And on the street you have a real smooth ride. Highly recommend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Damn you only paid 440? When I bought mine christmas season of 2011 I got em for 580 shipped