Cold air intake, what about hydrolock?

phatintegra

Banned
Comptech make the Icebox. I rather go with the Icebox over the CAI. Due to no hydro locking. I have seen some intakes rub ageist the A/C lines, esp AEM.

Here is a picture of the Comptech Icebox. There is a filter mounted inside the black box. Then again you still getting fresh cold air from outside.

Last edited:

hen92

I'm confused on what an icebox is. I researched a bit and found out that it redirects the tubing to get cold air for the short ram or stock ones? But at first I thought it was just a cover for the filter. How does an icebox work? with a cold air intake? Right now i see it working for the short ram. Sorry my questions are too noob guys. QQ

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
There's a big tube beneath the box section you see in that pic, it runs down, then bends 90 degrees and ends up behind the front bumper, behind the corner lens area. It draws in the air from there. And there's a small drian hole where the 90 degree bend is to further help prevent large amounts of water from reaching the Icebox.
The Icebox is a bit quieter than CAI's and SRI's too, which may be a plus or a negative to people. Plus for me.

hen92

To basically verify. It is like an attachment for the stock tube or short ram to become like a cold air intake. correct? It seems like I'm probably going to get this.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Exactly, you can use either the stock intake arm:

....or get the Comptech SRI:

The Icebox and the SRI are sold separatley. Each one comes with a Comptech filter when you buy them, so if you get both you'll end up with 2 filters. They're foam filters:

I sold my extra one.

chronsolo

MAD MAN
you can make a DIY icebox, which keeps your stock air intake but you basically increase the size of the piping on the underside of your air filter box to increase air flow. it will keep it looking stock, and the materials are cheap.

735e32

Im MEL.
Theres a thing called a hydro shield or something like that, where you put it over your filter, so it reduces the risk of hydro locking.
Its like a sock that goes over your air filter.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
That would make it harder for the engine to breathe, pretty much negating the benefits of having a high flow filter in the first place.

Tok1nT3g

FOOLY MATIC
if you go with the CAI and are that nervous bout hydrolock just get a hydroshield for filter, works great, but if you go w/SRI you could make your self a breather as i call it basically like a SRI kit but it spaces from filter made mine out of stock/// fuck wat they say it works///

hen92

I am leaning towards the comptech, but it seems so expensive. Could someone provide a good article/tutorial about diy for iceboxes? I seen a video on youtube where he just cuts the original tubing and he made it similar to a comptech one.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=10918
I also read this one ^
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ThreadPage=1&ForumID=15&TopicID=187672&PagePosition=6
This one seems very interesting, but no real idea how to do it. ^

Will all short rams fit the stock airbox?

foxracer20620

I have the secret weapon intake but can't use the ram kit due to the cold air box. But it really sounds like a beast when you get on it. So if you were to get a weapon r intake don't get the box its a waste of 60 bucks.

j13

Keep It Clean
Every intake sounds "like a beast when you get on it". The only only difference is who its made by, or if its carb legal or not.

hen92

I am planning on making my ice box today and i was wondering if i should just get a cheap sri on ebay with the aluminum tube or should i just use the stock intake and make a icebox and get a kn filter? Which would my car benefit most from?

ACJett

Enthusiast
I'd get a cheap tube from ebay or somewhere else, a K&N filter, anb build the box from there....
Good luck with it.
Post pics when you're done if you can.

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
I have the bottom have for the dyi icebox if you need it.... your really only paying for the comptech name for their icebox.. I bought mine soon after I hydro-locked but it was my fault.... drained 4 cups of water out of my block! only reason I went with comptech is cause of name and I love the look of it over dyi..