compression test

rosystreasures

1990 Integra GS 4dr
Ok, so my GF finally got a chance to look over the 90 Integra ls I got a week ago. All is good except the compression test. 90 PSI!!! Thats just NOT right.

Any recommendations on how to bring that up to the proper PSI?

R13

The other asshole
Plug an air compressor into your compression tester hose, stick it in each spark plug hole and do this,and
go to the throttle body open it up and listen for air,

then go to your tail pipe and listen for air and also check your radiator for bubbling

, It's basically a leakdown test but it will help you find out the problem

if it's piston rings check your oil fill hole in the valve cover, if the piston rings are are problem you should feel air rushing out the oil fill hole

oregonsandrat

You can do a wet compression test to see if its your rings. A leak down test (air pressure described above) will tell you if its valves.

Put a small amount, like a table spoon of engine oil in the plug hole and do a compression test... it it dramatically improves its rings. If not its your valves. Then the air test or leak down will show which valves are bad.

rosystreasures

1990 Integra GS 4dr
I should have stated this is a rebuilt engine NO PAPERWORK, but it does feel like an awesome engine. We saw the smog test results and my GF does not believe there is blow-by from the rings. However, two were black (#3 and #4) and two were perfect.

natt2000

did the rings seat properly? how long ago was the rebuild done? lets hear the results of the wet compression test as well

rosystreasures

1990 Integra GS 4dr
I don't know when the rebuilt was done. I havent done the wet test, itS 11PM here. From the loud exhaust, she thinks it may be the valves...

R13

The other asshole
Do you have access to even a very small air compressor ?

That would make diagnostics so much easier

rosystreasures

1990 Integra GS 4dr
We are looking into getting a small one in the next couple of weeks. We just looked up prices and the small ones are affordable.

R13

The other asshole
How much? harbor freight has a few for $60-70 if you're on a tight budget

R13

The other asshole
Should be good, i've heard positive things about them,

Here you go this might aid you with the test
http://youtu.be/WgrfT0LFMhc

Oh also i almost forgot, You have to take a pair of tweezers or similar tool to remove the little valve pin in the compression tester hose, It's easy it just screws out

Last edited:

SbS91TeG

Banned
How do u use a compression test to do a leakdown test wouldn't u need to buy a leakdown tester. What's the spec for the compression. Did u have the throttle plate opend all the way when u tested?