Compression Testing

heykosal

Angkorian
Quick question, guys, about doing a compression test.

Are you supposed to remove all the spark plugs? Or only the one for the cylinder being tested, and then replace it and move on?

Thanks in advance.

mirrorimg

It doesnt really matter. With no plugs in, you get no compression in the other cylinders. You will have your fuel pump fuse pulled, so you wont be shooting has into the chamber. Whether it sparks or not and ignites nothing or something doesnt matter.

heykosal

Angkorian
All of the spark plugs? i thought you were only supposed to do one at a time.
I thought the same thing, which is why I had to ask. But I trust Kyle 10000%
It doesnt really matter. With no plugs in, you get no compression in the other cylinders. You will have your fuel pump fuse pulled, so you wont be shooting has into the chamber. Whether it sparks or not and ignites nothing or something doesnt matter.
That was another question I had, disable fuel pump or ignition?

95project_GS-R

when i did mine i just disconnected the injector clips and distributer. my question is do you hold the throttle open or not.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
HERE'S a great article on how to do a compression test.
And pay attention to that Tip in step 2. I fried my ICM and ignition coil doing a compression test. Unplug those items before you do it!

95project_GS-R

thats a good article, found a couple things i need to figure out now. anyone know anything that could cause my n/a engine to be running lean?