compressor clutch relay

iceman85

I think i found the relay for the compressor clutch in front of the radiator on the drivers side of the hood latch. First is this what i think it is? Second, how the hell do i get to it to change it if it is? Would going in from the underside of the car be the easiest? I'm a fairly big guy and my arms barely fit in most of the tight spots around the engine. Any input u guys could give would be much appreciated. This site is the best source of info I have found on my 94 LS.

mirrorimg

Compressor clutch? For the A/C compressor?

The relays you see are most likely the headlight relays, but you can access them by taking the front bumper cover off.

iceman85

in the underhood fuse box where everyone says to look, i have a relay for the cooling fan and one for the heater motor...under the dash there is a fuse for the RR DEF RLY/HEATER MOTOR RLY/COOLING FAN MOTOR RLY but those are the closest to the A/C compressor relay i can find and obviously they arent the problem as all those components work fine. The A/C has been charged by a certified tech, so I know that was done properly. I will post pics when my cam is charged more in a few mins if necessary.

uso_Dc

removing the bumper will take some time, but it will be the easiest way for you unless you unbolt the radiator and lean it back to get to that relay. but i believe on the a/c harness there is 2 relays along the whole thing, one is for the compressor clutch and the other is for the fan. i dont know how to tell the diff between the two.

g33s0n6656

Why is it that your looking for the relay? Is it possible that your maybe just so low on freon the low-pressure switch is not allowing the compressors clutch to kick in? If you look at the line coming from your compressor that is labeled the high side you will see a plug. If you unplug it and stick a kinda thick paper clip across each terminal on the plug, not the switch, and while the car is running and ac switch is turned on it should kick in. If it kicks in eithor your low on freon or the low pressure switch is faulty. If it doesnt kick in you can start looking into the relay and/or fuses.

uso_Dc

^ give you that one, wouldnt have thought to check it like that.