cooling fan issues

jforrest

Is it normal for the cooling fan to stay on for 45 min to an hour after the car is shut off? The car has never overheated or got hot.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Um nope. Fan isn't supposed to get power with ignition off. Your fans are either wired direct or you got electrical gremlins.

jforrest

Ok check for that I didn't think it was suppose to. I just bought the car and the previous owner had allot of things rigged up ex. Light switch for the blower motor to work on the car. I got the car cheap off the kid because I went around pointing things out that was wrong with the car that he didn't tell me about so I wasn't going to pay what he was asking for it.

Twriddles

Are you sure Muck? my DA has never been tampered with and they stay on after i shut the car off for about 10 minutes.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
No, Im not sure. I owned a stock DA about 5 years ago and I dont remember it ever staying on. Theres really no point for the fan to continue to blow on the radiator when coolant is not moving (engine is off). Its needless and could kill the battery.

jforrest

I'll check the relay when I get home from work. I also thought it would ruin the battery down s well but it never has the car cranks right up.

chris89883

the maximum amount your fan should stay on is 10-15 minutes at most.

if you start you car, then shut it right back off do the fans come on still? or only long drives?

i guess the relay could be sticking

jforrest

I haven't tried just starting the car and turning right off...I know it does when when I just go to the gas station and back and that'sjust a mile trip

chris89883

well your fans shouldnt come on unless your a/c is on or your car is above 200F. You engine coolant temperature sensor is probably bad and making the computer think its overheated. Your gauge runs off of another sensor.

the sensor is really cheap and fairly easy to replace. make sure you dont replace the single wire sensor as that is the one for your gauge only.

jforrest

Ok good to know that I replaced the relay today and it did the same thing and I don't use the ac at all I took the belt off it . I'll change the sensor out tomorrow and see where it goes from there