Cooling Issue.

DopenessFool

so my fans never turn on.

i thought it was the senosr but according to the obd1 codes the
ecu tells you when the senosr has gone bad.
6 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

does this mean it cant be the fan switch?

gugiey

sounds correct
. so your
car would warm up not knowing the temp so then the fans
wouldn't come on to cool because they think it's still cool .

crash.1340

There are, I believe, two coolant temperature switches. One on the water inlet/ thermostat housing, and one on the outlet (top rear of engine) the one on the outlet housing is referred to as the fan switch. There may also be another one for the computer's reference (needs temp info for fuel trim parameters) on the back of the head near the base.

DopenessFool

There are, I believe, two coolant temperature switches. One on the water inlet/ thermostat housing, and one on the outlet (top rear of engine) the one on the outlet housing is referred to as the fan switch. There may also be another one for the computer's reference (needs temp info for fuel trim parameters) on the back of the head near the base.
so the one i should replace is the on the block?

are both senors (inlet, and block) the same?

crash.1340

so the one i should replace is the on the block?

are both senors (inlet, and block) the same?
The one on the block is the one that seems to go bad more often, I have no idea why, but it does. If you have the means to check the one that is on the block with the proper specs at hand and a decent voltmeter, I would. just to give you an idea of what you are up against. You say the fans don't come on at all? At that point I would personally check the switch and make sure it is outputting what it needs to be. I don't personally know what the specs are, I have never had to check them. I will say that idling in traffic on a hot day, my fans rarely kick on, so I don't know what your car normally does

DopenessFool

main question though.
which sensor turns on the fans.
the on by the thermostat housing or the one on the block?

Prozon

Kris
Bump for an answer, what sensor turns on the fans? Lol.

DopenessFool

some say its the one on the thermostat and some websites say the one on the block
so yea im confuseddddd:what:

gugiey

does you car over heat a little over normal or does it over heat to where you have to stop . ?

dlo253

just have your fan wired to a switch like mee =)
just remember its on a switch and not automatic....lol.

dr1ft@gious

I have your answer,
The sensor on the thermostat is called the Coolant temperature switch (cts) it turns the fans on and off
The sensor on the cylinder head is the coolant temperature sending unit, it sends the temperature to the gauge cluster
the one on the block is the coolant temperature sensor it sends to the ecu for better performance.

A cheap and reliable way to get your fans on, is to take the wired connector that plugs into the Coolant temperature switch and put a paper clip into both wholes, this will allow the fans to come on when ever the key is turned into the on position. I've done this and had this setup for a while.

hope this helps and btw here is a link for better description
http://techauto.awardspace.com/overheating.html#6

dr1ft@gious

just have your fan wired to a switch like mee =)
just remember its on a switch and not automatic....lol.
Idk about that, tapping into your wires is unprofessional and very rigged, it's probably cheap and better to do it in the description i posted above ^^^^. You also dont have to worry about it coming unplugged, if you get it snugged in it wont come out.

Cripton805

Just replace the coolant temp sensor. It's only like $30 at Autozone and is easy as heck to do.
It might even save you gas and make your car run 100% better.

Fix that code 6 first and see what happens. I don't think that has to do with your fans though.

dr1ft@gious

Just replace the coolant temp sensor. It's only like $30 at Autozone and is easy as heck to do.
It might even save you gas and make your car run 100% better.

Fix that code 6 first and see what happens. I don't think that has to do with your fans though.
yeah thats true, its only a 24mm wrench? the only reason why i had to do it is cause i bought one for a b20b and it doesnt fit my clip and i never went to go get another.

Cripton805

The BLACK plug. Coolant temp sensor (NOT SWITCH)
You will need to drain coolant to that level so it doesn't all pour out.
Look for a DIY.

There's a wire / sensor in back of the block that turns on the fan. Test your fan first, then look for damaged or cut wires in the back of the block. Right beneath the Oil Filter.

THIS CAUSES A CODE 6.

(Ignore the fact this is of a B18C1. It's on the same place.)

Last edited: