Cooling / Overheating at idle only

Sammich

why not just look at teh block of hte engine and look for signs of water running down it *shrugs shoulders*

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
on behaf of wite2nr, i just spoke to him over the phone just now and his radiator is cracked and is leaking fluid. He also installed a new thermostat. so its probably not the head gasket correct?

Last edited:

patrick4588

Integra God
might not be. only way to tell is time. id still do a leakdown test,

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
hmm well tomorrow we are going to install a new radiator and do a leak down test as well. ill try to post some results after we do the install. (his internet is down...)

wite2nr

went and picked up a new radiator (dual core from auto 91 teg - stock was a single), new thermostat, thermostat gasket and antifreeze. everything runs great now, no overheating, the new rad was more than twice as thick and a little wider, only "problem" is that it sits a little higher since it is bigger but thats something i can live with. i have not done a leakdown test, but i haven't lost any coolant or overheated since so I believe the only problem was a cracked rad and old thermostat. strange thing the temp actually dropped below normal when i was getting on the freeway in high rpm /uphill. maybe it was the hood spacers i added when i was having overheating probs. now the car is ready for AZ summer, thanks for the help guys!

heykosal

Angkorian
OOOOOH hood spacers!!!!

I always was like wtf why is that hood fitment so shitty...all these cars featured in magazines have that gap im like yo wtf.

but i get it now:hitlol:

danda2

da-dan
i expected it to be something alone those line good thing you didnt have to brake down the hole engine for something that simple well thats good its fixed if you can concider a new timing belt and water pump maybe that will help bring down that temp down some

wite2nr

update: i was on the freeway on the way home from starbucks after a little hold up with the police and the car overheated again. i shut it off and intermittently turned on the car/cruised in neutral all the way home to prevent getting too far in the red. when i got home the rad was bone dry. cause of the problem was a busted hose, the small hose that i believe goes to the heater core? it is runs parallel to the intake / valve cover vaccum line on the intake.. i thought shit maybe it actually was my headgasket when i got home and saw antifreeze all over my tranny leaking from above the tranny/under dizzy, right about where the head meets the block. anyways, new rad, thermostat, flush, upper / lower rad hoses, heater core hoses and now everything is in tip top shape.

Man A

homewreker
its the thermostat. at idle your water pump is still flowing but your not getting any air thru the radiator. thats why whe you start to move it cools down and when your stopped it goes up. been thru this 2 times. cheap easy way to start finding a more major problem anyway.

genesis

tougê hêrmit
yeah i was going to say thermostat in the beginning of this thread but never got around to it lol i bet its it.