Cracked head :(

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Well, as we know my car has had startup problems in the past, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I replaced the battery, plugs, and wires. But the problem was on the number 3 valve, the previous owners had over-torqued the plug and now it's stuck in there.

Now the most recent problem after autozone gave me the wrong VC gasket, my car completely died yesterday, only turning the key over to hear a click. I decided to check the plugs out, but when I pulled the number 4 wire out, oil came spewing out. So i left it to cool down and 10 minutes later, it started perfectly. Now the question is, how long can I last on a cracked head? I plan on doing either a LS/VTEC or a B20b swap, but can't right now as I need a daily until school gets out. Any suggestions?

Peenk_Ryda

Peenky- Duz It Right!
I had the same problem... changed everything> battery, gaskets, distributor, fuel filter, fuel pump... pretty much everything..and at the end it was the main relay... super simple! When i turned it on, it would try reallly hard to turn on, and then clicked, and then nothing after that... it was hella moody!!! ---- so ya, main relay- under the driver dash board- right by the clutch (or break if you have automatic)

Good luck!

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
I had the same problem... changed everything> battery, gaskets, distributor, fuel filter, fuel pump... pretty much everything..and at the end it was the main relay... super simple! When i turned it on, it would try reallly hard to turn on, and then clicked, and then nothing after that... it was hella moody!!! ---- so ya, main relay- under the driver dash board- right by the clutch (or break if you have automatic)

Good luck!
Hmm. That could be it, I am going to have everything checked out one more time, and see if anything new happens.

And nobody else has any input? :roll:

mjones73

What makes you think you have a cracked head? You probably don't have the new VC gasket in right and oil is leaking down into the spark plug tube in the head...

mirrorimg

What makes you think you have a cracked head?
This is what I want to know.

And I highly doubt they gave you the wrong gasket. You probably didnt clean the surface completely and apply some RTV silicone, or maybe you didnt replace the spark plug tube seals which are separate from the VC gasket unless you get the "kit."

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
This is what I want to know.

And I highly doubt they gave you the wrong gasket. You probably didnt clean the surface completely and apply some RTV silicone, or maybe you didnt replace the spark plug tube seals which are separate from the VC gasket unless you get the "kit."
+1 If this is the case you are going to have to buy another gasket and do this process all over.

Cripton805

What makes you think you have a cracked head? You probably don't have the new VC gasket in right and oil is leaking down into the spark plug tube in the head...
x2

Plus, the valve cover gasket alone won't stop any oil from getting through to those spark plugs. You need to replace the spark plug gaskets too.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Well my theory on that is because there is no visible oil leaking, the only time oil came out was when I pulled out the wires to check the plugs.

Maybe I do need to get the "kit", because I think I may have not done it right. So I'll check into that, and see what happens.

Here's some pics.

Last edited:

mjones73

Yeah there's gaskets in there to seal off each plug hole in the valve cover, if they are leaking, guess where the oil goes. :)

Prozon

Kris
Even if your head was cracked I doubt it would be leaking into the tubes.

Change your valve cover tube seals and you'll be good to go.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Update -
So I replaced the starter this weekend, despite the apocalypse. All is well until I went to drop my friend of at her house. The car turns over but doesn't start. I checked all the connections, and made sure the bolts were tight enough. Sill the same problem. We waited about half an hour, made lunch and what not, then it started fine.

Today, I am going to an Acura dealership to pickup some valve cover tube seal and clean out the oil in the tube.

Is it bad luck, or something else?

95_Integra

I have a similar problem. Oil was seeping in my #3 spark plug through my valve cover gasket. It seemed like that was what was making my car misfire. I changed my valve cover and the spark plug gaskets. I see no oil going into my spark plug holes and the misfiring continues. its pretty bad. I think I either blew a gasket or my head is cracked.
I'm not sure what to do about it!