Crank, spark, fuel, but no start

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Just like the title says, the engine cranks, there is a spark, and the cylinders are getting fuel but the car wont start. I am stumped on this one. The car is a 99 GsR with a B18B1+trans from a 00 Ls (all wiring also from Ls), the engine was put in about a week ago and the car has not started yet, all connections and grounds are fine and accounted for- except one (brown 2 pin connector, blue on the inside, wires are solid green and black w/ yellow). All fluid levels are good and I have been filling them as needed. There is also no CEL. Fuel pump turns on when it should and there are no leaks.

My thoughts are:
1- MAP and TPS connectors are switched (dont think they are but it is possible)
2- Immobilizer in the ignition cylinder (worked in the Ls before it crashed and i used the correct key - not very likely)
3- the brown connector (mentioned above - i dont think this would prevent the car from starting)

Anyone else have other ideas?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
what is the connector for also the car will start if the map and tps are mixed up , you may just fry the ecu though
i would check the distributor icm

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I cant figure out what the connector is for, Ive searched through wiring diagrams, photos, pretty much my entire service manual, and I cant find that connector. I looked at my 97 Gs and I couldnt find it. Only hint is that the inside of the connector is light blue suggesting it is probably fuel related. Im gonna look at my 97 Gs again when it is not 10 degrees and snowing with 20 mph winds.
Ill look into the distributor icm too.
I highly doubt the TPS and MAP connectors are switched.
The engine ran fine before I took it out of the Ls (after crash), started up right away and ran with no problems.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
post a picture of it if its on the same "Y" harness thing (uhhh where the harness is big and splits off then splits off again to separate sensors) as the TPS and MAP sensors, its probably the purge, it has a different black shielding on the wires its self and is a black plug

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
this is the only picture i have now (yellow circle), but the purge is already connected, it is almost identical to that connector but the notch is on the other side of the plug and its brown. it branches off near where the ABS wires split from wires that lead to the large connectors (main harness to engine harness).

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
I know on my DB7 i tried using a DC2 wire harness and my fuel pump wires fried, dont know why because the car were both 97 obd2a and the harness was in complete working order b4 swap. I would look up pics of an obd2b engine harness to see if that plug serves a purpose, because i had the same issue with my harness having an extra plug that didnt fit anywhere. your best bet is getting the right harness.

edit:try to find some one here with a 99-01?

Last edited:

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
as i stated before, the wiring harness and engine are from the same car, a few connectors are for the automatic transmission so those are not used, this is the only one that i cant figure out, gonna check the icm now

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
the icm is fine, the cap and rotor look almost new.

I think it could be a fuel problem (not enough getting to the cylinders), gonna take a look at the injectors soon, maybe the fuel filter

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Also in regards to the mystery connector, I took a look at the wiring harness for the DC2 and found a connector with the same solid green and black w/ yellow wires but in a black casing, which ran to the evap purge, the one I have connected to there now is black with solid dark green and solid blue. Also got a key made without a chip to test the immobilizer and see if that is a problem.

Edit: Finally found the connector on a diagram (C224)- no idea what it plugs into.

Last edited:

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Finally got it started!!!

Problem turned out to be with the fuel pump....it was missing. Put the pump from the other car in and it started up almost right away. Fuel on the plugs must have been leftover in the lines/fuel rail.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mystery connector goes onto the evap canister valve, the one I had on there must go somewhere else