Cranks but won't start

65lucille

I know it's a common problem, however, the common solutions haven't worked..
here's the story..
I was driving down the road maybe 30mph. the RPM gauge dropped, dash lights came on, and engine was still stumbling for a second, then died.. sounded like it was out of gas. Went and got some gas, still didn't start. tried starting fluid, and nothing.
so I figured I lost spark. Pulled a plug and cranked, and I was right. no spark.
I did the first few things every single thread tells you to do.. replace coil. ICM, Cap, and rotor button.
And still NO START.
when I originally pulled the cap, the distributor looked dirty, almost oily. Any possible way to test a distributor?? would be pretty upset spending $300 on a new one just to have the car crank and still not start.
anyways, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
New coil, new ICM, new cap, new rotor buttons, new wires and sparkplugs.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Did you ground the spark plug to anything or just hold it up in the air expecting to see spark?

These are much better to test spark with:

$5 at harbor freight.

Did you check the fuses? does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition to ON?

65lucille

Fuel pump is working, receiving gas to the fuel rail. and wont start on starting fluid.. I repeat.. it is NOT a fuel related issue. I've lost spark.
Checked all fuses, none blown. replaced coil, ignition control module, rotor and cap.
all new wires and plugs. distr. looked dirty and oily inside underneath the ignitor part, but didn't look too bad.
my last guess is distributor or crusher, lol. Joking of course.

65lucille

checked ECU, connectors and pins looked almost brand new, didn't see any moisture or burnt circuits. just assuming it's still good. going to the junkyard today to try and find a decent dist.

Dc5user

I got the same problem except that my ecu fuses keep blowing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk