Crower Vs Brian Crower Non-Vtec valve springs

mirrorimg

Looking to get some insight from you guys, on the specs of these valve springs. These are the valvesprings for the Non-VTEC B series engines.

http://www.briancrower.com/dl/06cat.pdf
Brian Crower: BC1020
1.400" @ 70lbs
0.905" @ 210lbs
coil bind @ 0.815"

http://www.crower.com/catalog/valve_springs.shtml
Crower: 68181
1.300" @ 70lbs
0.950 @ 148lbs
coil bind @ 0.710"

Supertech
1.358" @ 77lbs (34.5mm @ 77lbs)
.43" @ 211lbs at lift
coil bind 0.815" (20.70mm)

And Ferrea (no products for B18, but they have springs for b20?)
P# S10046

1.358" @ 60lbs (34.5mm @ 60)
1.043" @ 160lbs (26.5mm @ 160)
coil bind .787" (20mm)

Im trying to determine how these specifications on these springs control their movement. I know coil bind is effectively what is is called, when the spring height reaches the coilbind height, the coils slap one another and no further compression can take place.

From the height at seat pressure, It would look as though the Brian Crower springs are stiffer, and allow less compression as pressure rises, which is why the height is similar, even though there is 50#'s more pressure on the Brian Crowers.

My questions are as follows:
Does the increased pressure put more stress on the cam lobes, causing more or potential failure over extended use?
Does the higher spring stiffness allow for higher revving with less chance of valve float (given I stay within my power band of course ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The stiffer valvesprings will allow you to rev higher more safely, however that is not a large amount of pressure difference so they are not going to put anymore noticable wear on your cams and retainers.

My supertech vtec springs specs are
coil bind .768 inches
1.32inches @ 80lbs
.47 inches @ 190lbs

notice that the seat pressure is about the same but at lift they are almost twice as stiff.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Updated first post with both Supertech and Ferrea specs.

Thanks Aussie. I figured as much, just wanted some confirmation.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I updated your non-vtec supertech pressure at lift and the b20 and b18 springs are the same dimensions so the ferrea