Ctr pistons in a b18a1?

What else are you planning to do?
If you're asking is it possible to put CTR pistons on LS rods, then yes. I believe that the pistons have to be milled a small amount to allow proper play at the wrist pin like the ITR pistons do.

ImptRcr02

As long as your bore on your engine and the piston size are ordered correctily...ie (std. 20.30)
yes the wrist pins work just fine.
Depending on what company you get the pistons from will
either press on or have the clips on the side of the piston

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Well heres the thing, I already have them pressed on my LS rods, that I already knew. They are at stock bore, 81mm. I plan on going ls-vtec cus I already got a GSR head, but the original B18a1 in my Teg is slowly dying, and I need my car back on the streets asap. I have a remachined a1 block and head I've had for some time as a back up, and due to time and money i'm just going with that. But I have CTR pistons on my rods, cus I was planning on going ls-vtec. The pistons, rods, and crank are all machined and balanced for the Fidanza flywheel I already have, so the bottom end is built, its just the head thats the problem. So my question is will CTR pistons work with my a1 head until i have the time and money to rebuild and drop on my GSR head?

They should. Just make sure the valves are timed right and you shouldn't have to worry about them hitting the pistons.

Zero Fighter

MAKE'em SAY UUUHHhhhhh...
yes they will work......you will have to milll the rod 1mm on both sides....you will have to check the valve to seee if it will clear. if you are going LS-V with this you will have a stupid High compression ratio. it should be around 12:5 or so. I have had this set up before......if you are not carefull you will put a hole through the piston

evilminion88

I ate the bones
Sweet, yeah I know the CTR pistons cause very high comp, which is why I wondered if they are too agressive for the a1 head. But then again the a1 head has a larger combustion cahmber dome than the GSR head, which sorta scares me on clearance issues when i finally go Ls-vtec. To check piston to valve clearance I just put like some putty on the pistons and hand spin the crank, right?

Last edited:
I was under the impression that they would work but Samurai Blue informed me that if you run CTR pistons with an LS head you will beat up the combustion chamber with the tops of the pistons.
Id recommend you look into ITR pistons.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
While i was doing research on building a non vtec motor piston choice is critical.

You have the choice of running
b16a (us/JDM specs without modifcation)
b18C1,5 (US/JDM spec with 1mm of milling)

These pistons have been tried and trusted, theres alot of misleading information about the b16b (CTR) piston. In a b18c1 you will find people who will use them and others who wont, the piston actually raises compression in the gsr to 13+ while the jdm ITR piston will keep it around 11.5. If you were some how able to do this in a LS it would have your compression bumped up to 13.14:1 static compression which is by no means streetable. Most cams you will be looking at will need at most 12:1 (crower 404). The only way to get away with using this set up would be using a b16 head which idk why still yeilds a compression of 13.9...almost 14:1 compression.

The reason you cant use pct pistons is the valve to piston contact due to the giant ass head. the smaller the piston, the bigger the cam you can use in that motor.

a Type R or B16 A piston would be the best route to go, both pistons will put you around 12.2:1 which is a compression in which you are open to use about any cam you please.

Last edited:

evilminion88

I ate the bones
what if i just stick with stock cams from the GSR head when i finally go ls-vtec? And how would comp in a A1 head be higher than a GSR head when the dome on the A1 is more bigger and spacious than the contrictive and smaller dome of the GSR head?

Last edited:

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
what if i just stick with stock cams from the GSR head? And how would comp in a A1 head be higher than a GSR head when the dome on the A1 is more bigger and spacious than the contrictive and smaller dome of the GSR head?
Honestly everytime i see people use CTR piston the head get jacked up, i've seen 2 gsr blocks, ctr piston and gsr head and the clearance was horrible, if you do go with the ctr pistons get a b16 or type r head, and make sure the pistons clear the head