Custom sub box

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
That's not a ported box and in fact it's not a sub box at all. That is some wood used to hold a sub. That works great for your bathroom sink but is not appropriate for your subwoofer.

Look closely at the photo I quoted. It's some random wood nailed together with carpet stapled to it.

A sub box is much more than structural support. You use thick, MDF for it's vibration damping. The volume of the box is calculated to match the specs of the sub. A port is never just a hole in the box. It's a tunnel and again, its volume is calculated. The box is sealed tight at every joint so that air can only escape from the port. The carpet is there for aesthetics.

The box itself is more important to the sound quality and performance than the sub itself. I guarantee you that his setup sounds like absolute ass and those subs will fail within a dozen hours of use.

I say this not to criticize you but to educate you.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I've been doing audio installs for years and I understand that much. He has cheap particle board stapled together, which to you and me, who have the ears for it would sound horrendous. My comment was not too that, but to the people just arguing ported/non and which one is "better." I've built several boxes, and to do it TRULY right is an involved process. Of course the box matters, it's what houses the sub, and will a crappy box cause vibrations etc and a sub to fail prematurely? Sure it will. I don't disagree at all there, was just saying ported/non is a personal preference, and that I think a setup should look good in a car, not just sound good.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Ported will be louder and not sound sloppy IF DONE RIGHT. You have to calculate the volume of the port. A port is not a hole, it's a tube. Also, use fiberglass resin to seal all the corners inside the box to force all the air to exit through the port. Ported is preferred for hip-hop.

For an off-the-shelf box, get a sealed box. It will sound much tighter than an off-the-shelf ported box, which are all shit anyway. Sealed is preferred for music that has quick, repetitive bass hits and not a lot of artificial bass.

killjoy

I'm gonna have to agree with Hatch... if that box just had holes cut in it, the OP is basically free airing the sub. Subwoofers, unlike coaxials MUST be sealed into a box (unless properly tuned with a port). IF there is any air escaping, you're losing output and degrading sound quality tremendously.. Only specially designed woofers are meant to be free aired... you may be damaging those subs, OP

And I highly doubt that amp puts out 1200w.