cutting bumpstops

turbodelslo

ok Ive been hearing about cutting your bump stops im currently running koni/gc combo with tophats and have tokico blue bump stops the firm ones. My car is on about a 3 inch drop and I am starting to get dimples from my front camber kit hitting my strut tower. I have raised my car and now riding about 1/2 turn from full firm its my dd.

jbrown97ls

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with this post. Are you asking if you should cut your bumpstops to prevent bottoming out?

2kdb7

I've read a few mags that say not to cut them but drill holes in them. That way they will still compress like they should but still lower a bit.

tilegend

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with this post. Are you asking if you should cut your bumpstops to prevent bottoming out?
ditto... cutting the bump stops isnt going to help in this situation.... if anything its just going to allow more suspension travel...

bump stops are installed on the shock's shaft to prevent the piston from bottoming out and damaging the shock, only reason why you cut them on lowered cars is because due to the lower spring height you want more shock travel.

you're physically bottoming out because you're lowered too much and you have to compensate for the negative camber. your camber kit is going to adjust either the anchor point lengthening the arm or adjusting the ball joint by moving it out further and this is what is causing your camber arm to hit the shock tower.