cv axle replacement help needed....

Andrew93

Currently Building
ok so ill post some pics tomorrow to help as well but i removed the front axle and i ordered some new cv axles through advanced auto, so i got a right and a left....they look identical but on the leftside axle(left from inside the car) that i took out there is a mount and an extra piece that isnt on my left axle i purchased, so am i supposed to remove the part off of the old axle or is there a diff part i should have ordered?
couldnt find any helpful videos online or any topics.

90 integra ls

looking around some more looks like its called a intermediate shaft.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/90 integra axles/jlicrx/90-93TegAxles.jpg - what i have basically atm.

http://ff-squad.com/tech/axles/da.axles_01.jpg - and this is what i need.... also need help with removal/installation of it if anyone has any experience.

nvm looks like im gonna need to take it to a shop to have it removed and pressed onto the new axle

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ what!?!?!?!

Why are you replacing that shaft in the first place? There's nothing about that shaft that should go wrong under any circumstance that I can think of.

and take it to a shop to have it removed or pressed? Those aren't machine pressed together. they're held in by the splines and the snap ring at the end of the shafts. nothing needs to be forced together that you couldn't do by hand.....

Put the intermediate shaft back in, then put your axles in and you'll be good to go. lol

the intermediate shaft does not need to come out.. that stays in..

and the new ones don't have the jounce because they are balanced... the jounce is put on from the factory to help "balance" so there is no vibration.. but new axles are much better and don't need the rubber jounce.

nothing gets pressed in.. all u do is put the inboard side into the trans and push the axle in till u feel it "pop" if u look at the inboard side of the new axles they have a "c clip" that c-clip is what holds the axle in.

if it was pressed in you would have NEVER been able to pull it out.

Andrew93

Currently Building
well when my brother took the axles out he didnt detach it from the intermediate shaft theyre both of the car but still together... im not replacing the intermediate shaft i said i need to take it off and put it on the new axle...yea the car has been dead in someones back yard for 2yrs ive done a full rebuild on it including replacing the cv axles, and i was going by the haynes manual (when i finally found it) says use a hydraulic press

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
the only reason to remove that would be to replace the carrier bearing. whack the inner joint off the shaft ,its held on the same way as the tranny side. think of that shaft as an extension to the axel.

Andrew93

Currently Building
ok so all i have to do is pull the cv axle and the intermediate shaft apart? i got the two new axles so as long as the intermediate shaft is salvagable then im fine.

ok so all i have to do is pull the cv axle and the intermediate shaft apart? i got the two new axles so as long as the intermediate shaft is salvagable then im fine.
Yeah. Usually a pry bar will separate the cv and the int. shaft

Andrew93

Currently Building
ight ill be at my house in alil and ill give it a shot...gotta get my new rotors and pads on too