Cv boot

gsr_nikhil

Hello all. The rubber boot on the axel on the passenger side of the car is torn and fluid has been seeping out. The funny thing is that it still works fine and I don't hear any clicks or anything wjen I turn. Would it be wise tp replace the whole thing or can I buy just that rubber boot?

JayVee

2Dr Banger
Replacing the boot would be ideal , but depending if there is any debris in it I'd suggest replacing it . Not sure if they're is a way to clean it , but maybe a few other members can tackle this .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

gsr_nikhil

Hopefully nothing happens in the three weeks I have until I can go home. Its been like this for at least a month now

Muckman

Not a M0derator
If youre driving it for those 3 weeks then you wont be able to save the CV joint by just replacing the boot. You've run it too long without lubrication and exposed to dirt. You will want to replace the whole drive shaft. It'll be easier for you anyways.

gsr_nikhil

If youre driving it for those 3 weeks then you wont be able to save the CV joint by just replacing the boot. You've run it too long without lubrication and exposed to dirt. You will want to replace the whole drive shaft. It'll be easier for you anyways.
Ok thanks for the tip. Any recommendations on new ones. Should I just go to autozone or advance auto or something

JayVee

2Dr Banger
Well if you want to keep it OEM make sure you cough the dough up . Another member on here fastshadow171 got autozone generics &he hasn't had any issue with them . I need to replace mine as well . Only thing that sort of kills it for me is how much longevity they will have vs oe .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Peeples

At first you will hear no grinding because the joint is still lubricated.

Just go ahead and replace it, you dont want any problems in the future, its no more than a $60 DIY.

Look up tutorials online and you should have it done in 30.

Add On: Advanced Auto Parts would be more than enough for a stock integra, no need to go to Honda for the over priced OEM parts, inless you really want to keep it OEM.

Last edited:

gsr_nikhil

At first you will hear no grinding because the joint is still lubricated.

Just go ahead and replace it, you dont want any problems in the future, its no more than a $60 DIY.

Look up tutorials online and you should have it done in 30.

Add On: Advanced Auto Parts would be more than enough for a stock integra, no need to go to Honda for the over priced OEM parts, inless you really want to keep it OEM.
Excellent reply. I appreciate the info and I'll be looking to order that part from advanced auto as soon as I get back home to my garage and sexy lift :)

crazymikey

Honda Hoarder
I just installed a reman CV shaft in my car last week from Auto Value. Had it done in less than an hour.

I don't plan on keeping this car for more than a year, so there's no way I was going to put top dollar parts in it.

XjoEnX

I just replaced my driver side a few weeks ago and now have to replace my passenger side. It's an easy job if you have the tools necessary.