CV Shafts!!

donny76

going to be replacing the cv shafts on both sides this weekend. of course i'm going to do alot of searching tonight, just seeing if you guys had any tips or pointers before i start the job. the car is a 90 teg by the way.

wite2nr

make sure you have 3qts of mtf and autozone sells magnetic drain plugs for 4.50 with honda threads, good investment. I also put a little grease on the inside of the hub where the axles go in.

donny76

cool thanks for the tips. i would have forgot the mtf and i like the drain plug idea. i'm getting the new autozone shafts have any experience with them.

Replace the seals on the trans while you're down there too. Use Honda MTF and seals too

donny76

got the passenger side done today. the ball joints are a fawker to get loose! any tips on getting them off? also what kind of fluid does the 5 speed take? i have some 90 weight gear oil but it looks nothing like what i drained out. wanna get this thing done i'm taking it to the drag strip next weekend.

codeman_11901

holy christ dont use gear oil. i hear good things about the honda manual trans fluid. im pretty sure that 90 weight is way far beyond too heavy.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
after you unbolt the ball joint nut smack the side of the knuckle with a hammer, it will fall out