cylinder 3 dead

dougleson

I have a 1993 integra b18a1, i bought it and drive for two weeks, car drove strong and then on the freeway one day it just felt like it lost power, going up hill it would bog down and i would down shift, at a stop sign it would bog and i would need to rev to get rpms up to go, on a straight away the car all seemed to have power and drove good, did a compression check and cylinder 3 has no compression 1,2&4 all have 120 or better compression. It was burning a quart of oil every 150 miles/day. the only little bit of smoke out of the exhaust could be seen only at night from the lights of the car behind me. First issue i had was to change the valve cover gasket and spark plug tubes due to oil in the spark plug caps which fixed the problem. I took the spark plug out and there is oil in all spark plugs. Car still starts and runs just on three cylinders, if i can get some ideas of what to do to test if its the rings or a stuck open valve that would be great or general ideas of what it could be and what to do that would be highly appreciated.

TheCrimsonStar

If you're still getting oil in the cylinders then your rings may be shot or head gasket could be blown

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

3Axis

mothaf*cka...
^^ This. Another possibility is a valve may have burned out, which is what happened to me. My original engine, with 212,000 miles had a substantial leak of oil into the combustion chamber via a stem seal due to prolonged sitting. When I pulled the head off last weekend I found carbon sedimentation in cylinders 1 - 3 but the fourth piston was covered with a thin layer of oil and was perfectly clean. The front exhaust valve on the same cylinder had a pea-sized hole on the edge. Try this as a blunt diagnosis: With the engine running, take a small swatch of paper tower and hold it in front of the tail pipe. If it tends to be drawn in, it could be an exhaust valve being slightly open, sticking or in worst case scenario burnt and the engine is drawing in through the exhaust on that cylinder's intake stroke. Check your spark plug. If it's fouled you may have a problem. How many miles on your engine and has it ever sat for a considerable length of time?

dougleson

It has 196,000 on the engine, i started it and ran it last night, there is white smoke coming out of the tail pipe when i accelerate but not on idle it's revving half rpm on idle. Sorry for late response i work all day

dougleson

And i just bought the car a two weeks before so i have no idea Howe long it sat owner said he drives it everyday