da9 staring problems. In need help asap please!

elda9monster

I have been having a problem with my car starting up at random times. This started happening about a month ago or so while washing the car at a local car wash. The car has lag starting up but it will start and at random times the car will crank over but not start at all and it does this for about an hour or so the couple times it has done it. The times it has done this have been after it has been sitting for over an hour usually in the shade. I can hear the fuel pump coming on at all times when i go to start the car.

The car has a B20b that was swapped about 3 months ago and was running perfectly fine.Things i have changed are the ignition coil, main relay, spark plugs, and the ignition cap. I purchased the distributor I currently have about 5 months ago. the car is still obd0.

The only things I can think of are an electrical problem somewhere or the distributor is messing up somewhere.

I really need to figure this problem out since this is my daily for work and school.

thanks in advance guys! if you need anymore info just ask I tried to be as specific as possible.

elda9monster

The harness has been looked at as well as all of the grounds because I had a problem before with a short and it turned out being the harness. I am actually getting an ignition harness tomorrow so I will check the switch then.

I took of the distributor cap today and found out that it was being chewed up in certain points, I also checked to see if the rotor had any play and it turns out that it does not but the piece it goes attached to does have some play to it.

I think the main problem is not getting any spark during the times it has not started up because it does crank but it does not start up and when it does start it has a lag during the start. tomorrow I will be getting a distributor as well because the loose part in the distributor might be what is causing the problem and that has been my main thought of what could be wrong because i have been ruling out many things.

Thanks guys for the suggestions I will make sure to double check all of that tomorrow and keep you guys informed.
Also are there any other things that I can check that might be causing this while I am taking everything apart?

818DA90

Banned
I had something similar happen in my DA9 except whenever I tried to start it, it would just click and not start or make a really high pitched spinning noise.

It stopped happening and hasn't happened for at least 4 months now but I was told it could be the starter solenoid, starter switch, or even a malfunction in the starter.

GonzoDA9

The icu could be shorted, it is behind the fuse box, I swapped a b18b1 and it took me having to wire in a starter switch and it starts, I just need to find out how to route my vacuum and air flow hoses so it will go over 3000 rpm -.- but the icu prevented me from using anything such as sunroof and whatknot, so I have to throw it out there.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
definitely sounds like you have a suspect Distributor... that would be next on my list... if it is beat up looking inside chances are you have a failing coil unit... this would also produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

regarding the ICU... that only really impacts interior systems ( seatbelts, sunroof, idiot lights, windows, wipers, etc)

elda9monster

I finally had a chance to work an the car today and due to what I found inside my distributor I decided to get a new one and it seems to be starting up fine now, without any lag. I will keep you guys posted over the next few days if it still continues to have the same problem, which I hope I don't.

The reason I figured it was my distributor was because the center piece where the rotor goes attached to had some play and that caused two of the points in the distributor cap to get chewed up and my ignition coil to crack around the edges.

Thanks for the help guys I will update you guys if the problem continues which I doubt it will.