DA9 swap B18 to B20....sluggish performance

z1gary

After swap performance OK but not all I was hoping for.

The new B20 giraffe intake was not used bcz would not fit under the hood...so intake from B18 was used.
Old engine had surge issues and replaced IACV during swap and it improved.
Current engine lugs at low RPM ... like 2-3K depending on the gear.

Q1: Could some of this sluggishness be related to running a B20 on B18-OBD0 harness?
...Is it possible to upgrade the harness?

Q2: Is there any other intake (like from B20Z) that would fit under hood and work w this B20?

Q3: I don't necessarily want to go VTEC but it seems that might also be a solution?

Thx
G

94RS

No fucks given.
It shouldn't matter that you used your original harness as long as you reused the OBD0 distributor/intake manifold (for injectors). That would just convert the engine to OBD0, so you don't have to replace the whole harness or use a jumper.

Stupid question, but did you do a tune up on the new engine when you put it in? Someone else could chime in with a better answer, but that's the only thing I could think of causing the sluggish performance.

Also, you probably bought a low compression B20B, so performance should be nearly identical to the original engine.

z1gary

thx answer...will tune r up....bought the hi compression version from Orlando JDM dealer...but friend did swap and i didn't actually see the pistons.

94RS

No fucks given.
That wouldn't make a difference, would it? If the intake mani/dizzy/alternator are reused, then the engine would be converted to OBD0, only difference would be that the knock sensor isn't being used :what:

At least, that's what I've read a bunch of times while doing research on B20 in an OBD1 car.