DB2 GSR trans serial number tag ID

heritage36

Hey guys,
Maybe this is a dumb or weird question, but I am hoping someone can clarify for me. I was always under the impression that a DB2 GSR trans should have a tag that says YS1...., but when looking at mine the other day, which I was under the impression was stock, though I am not positive, it says S1....on a gold badge. I was wondering if someone could help me figure this out, or what would really be awesome is if someone with a stock DB2 GSR trans could put a pic of their ID sticker on here. Any information is appreciated, I am pretty confused by this one to be honest. Thanks guys!

heritage36

I am not sure, the tag was a little beat up, I wonder if there is a way with that serial number to match it to the car or not?

heritage36

Come on guys, someone throw me a bone and check what your serial number says. I know there is a decent amount of DB2s on here, and 35 people have looked at this with basically no useful responses, I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer, thanks!

reighn3

Reighn3
Where is the tag located on the tranny if you tell me where it is I'll go outside and look for ya

heritage36

If you look below the cylinder head to the left of the exhaust manifold where it says B17A stamped on the block, right to the left of that on the transmission there should be a small label with the numbers. Just the first couple letters/numbers is what I need. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

reighn3

Reighn3
Hey sorry it took so long but my tag has no numbers it just silver sorry man

heritage36

I think S80 is a newer hydraulic transmission if I recall right, maybe a 3G GSR trans? Cable ones are either YS1, S1, J1 or Y1 I believe.

heritage36

Okay, thanks red.line. It is really strange, mine is on a gold label and says S1.... but the strange thing is, an S1 is a B16 trans, so I think that would have a little shorter gearing, and this transmission feels just like my old DB2 did which I know had the stock transmission in it. I am somewhat baffled by this, the RPM ranges and everything seem in accordance with a YS1.