digging deep in my gs-r

ImElvis

Sup yo'
so i saw these 3 things on the optional things near my emergency brake. and i took them out. there was 1 fake alarm light, 1 switch (either a kill switch or a switch for the fake alarm light), and there was one metal ring which had no use.. unless that came stock. and all of them weren't hooked up or anything, they just had electrical wires ready to be used but nothing to plug it to.

so i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get one of those alarm lights alone? i took it out and tried to hook it up to a battery and to the switch to complete the circuit but by accident i hooked it up to a 9v thinking 4 AA's was too weak, but turned out they were just running out of juice >.< and so the light blew out i think. i heard a loud snap when i hooked it up to the 9v.

is a switch suppose to have 3 wires? mine has black red and white. my light had a positive and negative.

jznsn2u

if it helps - when i got my first gsr, the previous owner took the alarm system. i have the hood sensor, center console light near the shifter, but no alarm system. just buy a new alarm system, its worth it :p

ImElvis

Sup yo'
if it helps - when i got my first gsr, the previous owner took the alarm system. i have the hood sensor, center console light near the shifter, but no alarm system. just buy a new alarm system, its worth it :p
hm. that's what he probably did to my car before handing it over.. he also took the sub, and amp >.<
yeah, i'll just get a new alarm system, and put the switch to good use and install a killswitch.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You probably blew out the LED when you hooked it up to the battery, they require very low voltage/amperage to operate. Even if you hooked it up properly to the right battery, it'll just stay on all the time, it wouldn't blink like an LED should. You can get a new one on Ebay for a few bucks.
HERE'S one.

Switches can have 3 wires coming off them, it depends what style switch it is.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
You probably blew out the LED when you hooked it up to the battery, they require very low voltage/amperage to operate. Even if you hooked it up properly to the right battery, it'll just stay on all the time, it wouldn't blink like an LED should. You can get a new one on Ebay for a few bucks.
HERE'S one.

Switches can have 3 wires coming off them, it depends what style switch it is.
i know i should search in the forum but you sound like the right person to talk to.
could i wire it up so that when the switch is on it will blink?
also could i put a resistor on it and then hook it up to the 9v battery again?

the switch i have has 3 options one is like On, net is Middle, and the last one is like weird I can only push it down but it comes back up again after I release it.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I believe it's the alarm's brain that makes the LED blink, you can't mimic it with a switch.
You can try the resistor trick, you may be able to get it to come on but it still won't blink.

That switch sounds like an alarm programming/valet switch I've had before. If it is, I'm suprised the previous owner didn't keep it with the alarm.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
I believe it's the alarm's brain that makes the LED blink, you can't mimic it with a switch.
You can try the resistor trick, you may be able to get it to come on but it still won't blink.

That switch sounds like an alarm programming/valet switch I've had before. If it is, I'm suprised the previous owner didn't keep it with the alarm.
Oh. Yeah I'll just try the LED with the resistor for now until I get an alarm system. Well I found out how to make the light blink but you don't have to read it, it's down below if you want to.

I have to tap into a power source. Like, my hazards work even if my car is off meaning it's still getting power, so I put one of the wires to that, and the other wire to something that only works when the car is on. So when my car is on the LED gets power through both wires, like +12v and +12v(weird.. I'd expect it to get really bright or something), which turns it off some how. When my car is off, it only receives power from one wire, and the wires become 0v and +12v(I thought it'd just be dimmer) causing it to blink some how.. either I buy a blinking bulb or a regular, not sure but I got the idea.