DIY FX/300zx Retrofit

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
Nissan 300zx clear lens''s

Paired with Infinity FX35 Bixenon''s

Here''s a quick comparison, i''ve only done the drivers headlight but you get the point, the FX''s are extremely wide and alot brighter then the factory headlight with a Kit bulb

Teg projector with 5000k Kit bulb(passenger only)

FX with 300zx clear lens and Phillips 85112+ 4300k bulb (driver only)

Both

i'll probably do the passenger one next week. and then get a fog light harnes or make one, hook it up to my JDM fog light switch and have quad high beams:twisted:

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
those 300zx lenses hid lenses?

i thought they were halogen......thats why the light pattern isnt that great.

btw....post pics of actual headlight....i want to see how the fitment of the projector is.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
HIDs aren't so great for highs. but it looks good:thumbs up
Since when? i had RS6 bixenon's in my old civic and holy jesus best high beams ever

those 300zx lenses hid lenses?

i thought they were halogen......thats why the light pattern isnt that great.

btw....post pics of actual headlight....i want to see how the fitment of the projector is.
I dunno if they are HID or not, but they give the FX projectors a better output

Stock FX lens

Fx with 300zx lens

Here's the retrofitted headlight, the projector lens is a little smaller so i'm thinking i may redo this one after i do the passenger one

Stock headlight

Last edited:

nautica_t

i personally would've went with another projector, the fx35/45 projectors are not the best projectors on the market.

however they are the cheapest bi-xenon projector out there and with a lens swap as you did, made it better. You could use the 300zx clear lens (halogen lens) and mated them with something else and get a better quality overall projector.

but kudos to you.
i personally run tsx retrofits, however, they will be for sale in a couple of months as i'm upgrading to s2k.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
i personally would've went with another projector, the fx35/45 projectors are not the best projectors on the market.

however they are the cheapest bi-xenon projector out there and with a lens swap as you did, made it better. You could use the 300zx clear lens (halogen lens) and mated them with something else and get a better quality overall projector.

but kudos to you.
i personally run tsx retrofits, however, they will be for sale in a couple of months as i'm upgrading to s2k.
The FX projectors are actually being given credited as being a smaller TL, on the HIDplanet forums alot of the more experiences retrofitters like the FX's alot more then others. especially with a clear lens'.

But for you going from TSX to S2000 is going to be a big leap, i was going to go with teh TSX but was told that they are only really good cause of their clear lens and that they lack intensity. but it's a debate really. some people praise them others don't. It's all preference really...

And for $85 for the projectors shipped how could i say no :D

heykosal

Angkorian
Since when? i had RS6 bixenon's in my old civic and holy jesus best high beams ever
Yeah i understand, but i read somewhere that it shortens the life of the ballasts and ignitors because of the constant lighting and shutting off.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
Yeah i understand, but i read somewhere that it shortens the life of the ballasts and ignitors because of the constant lighting and shutting off.
And couldn't be farther from the truth, the bulb is only on when you turn the headlights on, and the high beam just moves a shield inside the projector allowing light to go higher and further

nautica_t

And couldn't be farther from the truth, the bulb is only on when you turn the headlights on, and the high beam just moves a shield inside the projector allowing light to go higher and further
most bi-xenons work in that fashion, it wouldn't be efficient to run a separate hid bulb on high, because if you only use it to flash than you'll burn out the bulbs and over work the ballasts/ignitors. thats why most company who do use bi-xenons have halogens hi-beams regardless.

as for the fx being credited as TL's? whoa, i haven't been on hidplanet for a while, but that's just insane, unless you're talking about the newer generation fx's but most of the ones that were being sold on hidplanet were not newer generation fx's, they were older model freshnel lens from the recalled headlights.
from what i remember the fx projo's were good because they were the smallest bixenon projector in terms of overall length including the bulb and adapter. but otherwise you'd have better options if it wasnt' for the size. such as a bmw with clear lens, that's what i'm doing for my friend's da right now, but he's been too lazy to give me the other side of the headlight.

in the end it depends on what you want and your budget.

my tsx has out performed numerous retrofitters in my area, thats souly because i did no adjusting in terms of doing the washer trick, washer trick is only good for clean cut off with a sharper color at the line, but usually by doing so, you sacrifice a slight difference, and the only time you'll see that cutoff is when you're looking at a wall taking pictures.

as for the s2k jump, yeah it's going to be huge, however the projector is going to be bigger as well, so that's going to be fun..

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
most bi-xenons work in that fashion, it wouldn't be efficient to run a separate hid bulb on high, because if you only use it to flash than you'll burn out the bulbs and over work the ballasts/ignitors. thats why most company who do use bi-xenons have halogens hi-beams regardless.

as for the fx being credited as TL's? whoa, i haven't been on hidplanet for a while, but that's just insane, unless you're talking about the newer generation fx's but most of the ones that were being sold on hidplanet were not newer generation fx's, they were older model freshnel lens from the recalled headlights.
from what i remember the fx projo's were good because they were the smallest bixenon projector in terms of overall length including the bulb and adapter. but otherwise you'd have better options if it wasnt' for the size. such as a bmw with clear lens, that's what i'm doing for my friend's da right now, but he's been too lazy to give me the other side of the headlight.

in the end it depends on what you want and your budget.

my tsx has out performed numerous retrofitters in my area, thats souly because i did no adjusting in terms of doing the washer trick, washer trick is only good for clean cut off with a sharper color at the line, but usually by doing so, you sacrifice a slight difference, and the only time you'll see that cutoff is when you're looking at a wall taking pictures.

as for the s2k jump, yeah it's going to be huge, however the projector is going to be bigger as well, so that's going to be fun..
I dunno that's what i've been reading recently, the ones i have are a newer generation, they had semi clear lens's

I think it was hacknslash or JNC, one of the more experienced guys that said with a clear lens the FX is =< a stock TL but if you put a clear lens on a TL it blows the FX out of the water.

nautica_t

well of course, with any clear lens, it can make any decent projector good. but the higher end stanley projectors will 0wn much more with a clear lens.

and the fx has freshnel, frosted and semi-clear
i believe.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
1) Remove Headlight, i'm going to assume that you have the knowledge of how to do this already

2) preheat oven to 200f. bake headlight for 5-7 minutes.

3) remove lens from healight, this is done by prying it.

4) take the FX projector and remove the lens.

5) place 300zx len's on projector and reattach the lens holder

6)remove factory headlight assembly from headlight

7) remove the rear part of the factory projector, and the factory lens
aparently mine was broken

8) get the trusty hacksaw and cut off the factory projector front

9) mount up the FX projector, drill holes in the projector and the factory mount, then bolt the projector to the to the housing

10) make sure it's all aligned up. then put the headlight back together, I placed it in the oven for 4 minutes to allow the factory glue to soften up. so the lens goes on better. I then sealed it up so it wouldn't fog, use waht ever method you would like for this. Since the integra headlight is covered by the bumper i just used weatherproof all purpose tape..

11) put the headlight back in and enjoy :)

before)

After)

How come i can't change the title of the thread? can a mod or admin add (now a DIY) to the title?

Last edited: