DIY: sedan door handles on your coupe

XjoEnX

Per request, I put together a DIY for this project.

Here is a comparison between the two handles:

1. Start off by removing the door panel:

2. After removing the screws, start taking off the handle cover by pulling the handle, and sliding the cover back and out. It'll take a bit of wiggle to go. Unplug the harness after its out.

3. Start pulling the entire door panel off, it's held on by clips. Then unplug the harness for your tweeters and mirror controls. Sorry, no pic of this, but it's pretty straight forward.

4. Start peeling back the cover. There's a white clip holding it on that can be removed with a flat head screwdriver.

5. Remove that black plug on the left to get access to one of the 10mm bolts holding the door handle in.

Another view of the bolts:

6. Look into the hole where the black plug you removed was and you'll see this clip with a rod attached. Remove this rod from that clip. I did it by placing a flat head screwdriver on the opening of the clip on the left, and then turned the screwdriver in a way to open the clip so I could push the rod outwards with my other hand.

7. Remove the two 10mm bolts shown in step 5.

8. Start taking off the door handle. It'll take a lot of patience on this part because it may seem like the handle won't want to come off. Continue to maneuver it until it does come loose. Be careful of your paint! Use tape if you have to!

9. Look under the door handle itself an unscrew the Philips screws here to help ease removing the door handle.

10. Remove the retaining clip and the circular clip (this clip is lined up with the key cylinder of the white clips, there's a picture of it removed in the third photo below) to remove the key cylinder of the handle.

11. You then just have this white clip hanging.

12. Remove your door handle now by twisting it off the other rod it is attached to.

13. To remove the white clip (you do not need this for the sedan door handles), if you follow where it leads you'll see it can be unplugged. In this first photo below, it is the left-most harness.

14. The only thing you have to do now is screw in your sedan door handle, bolt it on, and test that it works. There will be an extra rod, the one attached to the white clip earlier that will now be sitting in lingo. I duct taped it to the panel inside the door so it doesn't rattle or hit the window.

That's it. Enjoy your new hotness.

Let me know if you need any clarifications on certain things. I threw this together without proofreading. Thanks!

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Bookmarked for future reference. The funny thing is the day I bought my DB door handles(off a CI member here) is the day my car got broken into...Thanks for the awesome write up!

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Nice write up, I'll be sourcing some handles pretty soon. This+kill switch+alarm = proper security. I think. lol

treeafodo

Austin
Good write up! I've seen a few tegs done like this and it looks 100x better.

miloiii123

Is this for security? Unless you have an alarm that can pop the doors open wouldn't this just leave the door unlocked all the time?

XjoEnX

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Is this for security? Unless you have an alarm that can pop the doors open wouldn't this just leave the door unlocked all the time?
I did it for a cleaner look and that I don't care too much about the keyhole on the door handle. For your second questions, the door locks and unlocks for me by arming/disarming my alarm.

I would only put a disclaimer to not do this if you currently use your key to unlock your door. Thanks for pointing that out! :thumbs up:

Skidmarks

Cascade Honda Crew
Yeah, I want one too :( but once i get my alarm I will be coming back to this for sure! Nice write up joe, also, what kind of alarm do you have? Any suggestions? Ive been thinking about a viper alarm with the remote.

XjoEnX

Thanks! I have the Viper 5901 system. Love it. A bit glitchy sometimes in the fob (every now and then I have to press the lock button a few times for the car to arm itself). Nothing wrong with that for me though, as long as I know it's working and I'm within range whenever I go out.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
best thing to do

until a battery dies. then you gotta crawl thru the trunk.

Posted from my Microwave using Tapatalk

dlo253

Unless you got a shaved hatch. Gotta break out the specialty tools then! Lol. Or hidden, but accessible battery terminals.