DIY Tint Removal

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Steamer is easy to use when the tint isn't very old. If its old, it will be hard no matter how you do it. You can use a black trash bag and cover the window on a hot day and pull the tint right off. Removing the glue is easy. Rag with some detergent or any other adhesive remover kinda thing. Rearwindow is super sketchy as its really easy to have the tint rip on the defroster lines and hard to pick off without scraping the lines off. Good Luck! You can buy defroster paint if you do scrape some of them off as I did=^(
- Aaron

Bulbasaur

omg... im doing my rear window now, front window was easy as but the rear window... i got pissed and i ripped off half tthe membrane, now im screwed using a old lil razor and scrapping as the day passes away. anyone got tips on how to rid of tint that dosn't have membrane? i have no idea how im going to even to the sides were the frame is in the way...

Last edited:

steve-o_585

I took my tinit off using a heat gun, letting it get soft in like 30 secs, then scrape until it gets long enough to grab onto and pull the tint back slowly but the adhesive is still on the glass so I'm gonna get some goo gone or purple power and get the adhesive off with that stuff. Ill let u know how that goes.

skimo

lol trust me your going to want to when you get to the rear window...
Yeah me and my friend started on my car probably around 9 last night and ended up stopping around midnight because it was getting really cold out. The front two windows were done, although my tint split into two pieces. I steamed everything off and I was like man that was easy, then realized there was a second layer which was a bitch to get off.

My friend does tint at his shop so I think the back window went a little faster than if I would have tried but needless to say we have to go back over it today to finish it up.

I think it's worth it to do it yourself but I'd recommend grabbing a case of beer for the occasion, it's rather lengthy and it will piss you off for sure.

Bulbasaur

i think i figured out the rear window... grab yourself a paint stripper razor blade thing (basicly a razorblade that comes with a handle) and go all out ape shit on the window. im like 3/4 done now after giving up for quite abit of time. only the tricky corners and element lines left..

skimo

i think i figured out the rear window... grab yourself a paint stripper razor blade thing (basicly a razorblade that comes with a handle) and go all out ape shit on the window. im like 3/4 done now after giving up for quite abit of time. only the tricky corners and element lines left..
Lol say bye bye to your rear defrost if you had any

altered_images

hot day+windex w/acitone+black tash bag=tint b gone w/no glue.... ive done it plenty of times in my shop... trick is make shure the window cleaner has acitone in and that you let it sit for at least an hour or so

ryanDC

So here are the pics i promised a while ago lol
It made a major difference, bye bye tints

Before

After