Do i need a new thermostat

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
My car seems to run alot better during the daytime when its warm out and at night when its colder it has a sputter and doesn't seem to run as good i was thinkin thermostat but im not sure any opinions would help.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I was gonna answer your question, but then I got high :lol:

I think a thermostat issue would have to do more with the car overheating after driving it too much. I think when the thermostat gets bad it typically doesn't allow the water/coolant to flow, causing the engine to overheat.

SOmeone correct me if I'm wrong :what:

00DC2TW

I think a thermostat issue would have to do more with the car overheating after driving it too much. I think when the thermostat gets bad it typically doesn't allow the water/coolant to flow, causing the engine to overheat.

that or it allows the car to overcool itself, and stays below normal operating temperature, which is also bad on the engine

Cripton805

Could be the coolant temp sensor.
Too much fuel or lack of fuel due to the fact the sensor cannot sense the temperature.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost

Actually they typical stay open, there rarely stay stuck in the closed position :)

and to the OP, Check your plugs. Denser cold air might be just to much for the gap. <---this is doubtful but just an idea

do you have and CEL's?

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
no CEL's plugs and wires fairly new but shop gaped them so i assumed they did it right......may have assumed wrong:smackself

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
i just thought cooling cause of it acting up at night when its cooler sometimes if i drive at night for a while and let it warm up and shut it off for bout 10-15 mins itll act right but not very often

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
just a thought it used ta bog down alot day or night before i replaced the wires plugs rotor cap distributor and fuel filter is there anything else i should change to fix it

<CleanNDirty>

i know if you have an old battery that the cold can give you trouble starting. But you said its running wrong at night. Could flush radiator(might have 2 diff coolants in there), could also see if there is a gap forming from gaskets getting cold. its getting warm out though so you shouldnt have many probs anymore. Im just trying to think of what can be affected by change in temp. good luck dude

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
batt isnt even a year old i may try just some seafoam and some fuel injector cleaner could be just clogged up:what:

rexpepper123

o2 sensor? plugged cat? i donno man. take your injectors out and clean them? lol just tryin to give ya some ideas