do I need aftermarket headers for catback?

royce619

Hey guys so I have a Megan Racing Drift Spec Catback exhaust system for my 2000 Integra LS. A friend of mine who also has an integra, told me that it wont bolt onto my stock headers. Is that true?

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
It depends on the header and exhaust flanges. My DC header fit my cat, but my Megan header didn't...

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
You sure? Some connections are fine, others aren't...

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
uhhh if you have a 'catback system' you need to be asking if it will boltup to your cat because a catback system is after that. But it does depend on the system you bought. If the company makes it to bolt up to stock then it should if you bought the right application. Usually if you bought a larger diameter system then it most likely wont and you need a different cat or flange. Then you may also need a different header or flange to match up with that cat or test pipe. Length for catback systems should not be an issue if the application is correct. Adding length or shortening shouldnt cost much though.

royce619

uhhh if you have a 'catback system' you need to be asking if it will boltup to your cat because a catback system is after that. But it does depend on the system you bought. If the company makes it to bolt up to stock then it should if you bought the right application. Usually if you bought a larger diameter system then it most likely wont and you need a different cat or flange. Then you may also need a different header or flange to match up with that cat or test pipe. Length for catback systems should not be an issue if the application is correct. Adding length or shortening shouldnt cost much though.
A catback exhaust system starts from the cat and goes all the way back. thats why i asked if i needed new headers. but i guess i do, so i think im going to go with Megan 4-2-1's.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Incorrect.

"Cat-back (also cat back and catback) refers to the portion of the exhaust system from the outlet of the catalytic converter to the final vent to open air. This generally includes the pipe from the converter to the muffler, the muffler, and the final length of pipe to open air."

Axle back starts from...the axle. Which refers to just the muffler and the pipe that comes out of it. You'll sometimes hear people refer to header back which would include the cat to the muffler.

So either way you mean you have an aftermarket cat in your system. If its larger diameter, then it most likely wont bolt up at the flange. You might as well upgrade the header though.

royce619

Incorrect.

"Cat-back (also cat back and catback) refers to the portion of the exhaust system from the outlet of the catalytic converter to the final vent to open air. This generally includes the pipe from the converter to the muffler, the muffler, and the final length of pipe to open air."

Axle back starts from...the axle. Which refers to just the muffler and the pipe that comes out of it. You'll sometimes hear people refer to header back which would include the cat to the muffler.

So either way you mean you have an aftermarket cat in your system. If its larger diameter, then it most likely wont bolt up at the flange. You might as well upgrade the header though.
Ohhh okay thanks. My system has an aftermarket Cat ..
I believe its 2.38", so what headers would i need to buy? That is an odd number, isnt it?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Spare, duh.

2.38 is the same size as the jdm type r. Makes good power. It should mate up with any aftermarket header that isnt 2" collector. Contact noxus1, he sells PLM and can probably tell u which ones will work.

el_tigre

Non-VtecB18
For example I don't need cat for this right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: