do the work or swap?

OlegWasHere

im not sure how to make a poll but yeah.

so just got back from a "reputable mechanic"

he quoted me 1000 dollars to fix

head gasket
machine shop if head is good
water pump
timing belt
radiator flush
all new hoses
heater core

should i do the work or do a swap?
the car runs great except for the leak.

my car over heats only on the hightway really when im above 3k rpm going 80(which i shouldnt be doing anyway)

if i do a swap id want vtec and manual swap(dont think they come automatic)but i can drive stick

note the dash has 175k ive had the car since 140
never did timing belt or water pump.

edit: he said he would charge me 300 for a swap just engine not auto to manual. and obviously i buy the engine.

Cripton805

It all depends how deep your pockets are and if you have another car to use during the swap.
It's going to cost more than 1k to swap in for a Vtec engine and a 5 speed conversion.

OlegWasHere

It all depends how deep your pockets are and if you have another car to use during the swap.
It's going to cost more than 1k to swap in for a Vtec engine and a 5 speed conversion.
sadly i know this.

i know the manual swap would run me at least 1100
i have a friend willing to sell me his block and head for 200 80k miiles with paperwork. but it came out of an 01

edit: i wouldnt even think twice about putting 1k in this summer but with christmas around the corner.
the car is drivable minus the leak in my floor. i keep shampooing once a week.

if i do the heater core and save the headgasket work it might puncture it again?

Last edited:

goofygamer

What Cripton said. If you're going to go with a VTEC swap, I'm sure you're going to want to clean the bottom block and head, maybe spray paint a fresh silver coat on the block, do a tune-up, etc... Engine swaps aren't something you'd want to quickly plug in a play. Finding the right engine might be a while too.

OlegWasHere

well like i siad motor has 175k
if i rebuild what are the chances it will be a headgasket again?

if i can wait till january(which i can)
i will drop off the car because im leaving for a week out of the country

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
my friend did a wiring/interior swap, engine swap, transmission swap, suspension swap, and front and rear bumpers on his Impreza 2.5rs in 5 days in his driveway, he usually wakes up at about 1pm every day so i say about 8-9 hours of work a day. The work is not really hard just time consuming, unless you really know what your doing like Dylan.

for a non-vtec to a vtec swap your going to need the engine, ECU and wiring harness. also since you would be doing a 5 speed swap also is to simply purchase a 5 speed shell and put the vtec engine into that.