Do you follow torque specifications?

nowwhatnapster

When your tightening any bolts/nuts on your car, do you reference the manual for the torque specification? (lbf-ft/ kgf-m)

And do you always go exactly to the number?

Sorry if this is a noob question.

Also if you have any recommendations for a good torque wrench it would be appreciated. I have one that no longer works. Looking for something that is 0~100 ft lbs

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
yes torque specs are very important

if you over tighten a bolt, it will break it and that is not a fun thing, ive done it many times thinking i can bypass getting a torque wrench

if you dont tighten it enough, this could also cause many problems such as leaks, things coming loose,etc.

heykosal

Angkorian
Wow, not to be a dick, but that is the most retarded question I've ever heard. They say theres no such thing as a stupid question, but wow..

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
^^^ :rolf:

i was gonna say that but didnt feel like bieng a dick lol

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
Wow, not to be a dick, but that is the most retarded question I've ever heard. They say theres no such thing as a stupid question, but wow..
i lol'd hard even though that wasnt necessary KOSAL

but to the OP on some bolts i follow specs on some i dont. for the most part its a feel thing. something that could vibrate loose then yeah follow the specs. or internally in the engine you ABSOLUTELY have to follow specs. but your drain plug on your oil pan... eh... just tighten it to the point where you dont strip it but it doesnt leak. use common sense

Last edited:

heykosal

Angkorian
i lol'd hard even though that wasnt necessary coy
I'm not Coy..and yeah it was definitely unnecessary, I'm sorry but today has just been the WORST fucking day ever.
BTW, make sure your torque wrench is of good quality. Not some cheap Harbor Freight brand. Also take good care of it, don't drop it, throw it around, and such. Clean it when you're finished with it, and keep it in it's case. Another good practice is to set it to 5 ft-lbs. before you store it.

All these things are good practice in order to prevent what's called preload scatter(I think) which is your torque wrench giving you false readings. A lot of cheapo wrenches "click" at only 60-75% of their settings. High quality wrenches aren't perfect neither, they will "click" at 90-100% of their settings. Things just get worse when using assembly lube.

Do your homework.

cyclotegra

Heck I use a torque wrench on my bicycle much less my car... haha

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
I'm not Coy..and yeah it was definitely unnecessary, I'm sorry but today has just been the WORST fucking day ever.
BTW, make sure your torque wrench is of good quality. Not some cheap Harbor Freight brand. Also take good care of it, don't drop it, throw it around, and such. Clean it when you're finished with it, and keep it in it's case. Another good practice is to set it to 5 ft-lbs. before you store it.

All these things are good practice in order to prevent what's called preload scatter(I think) which is your torque wrench giving you false readings. A lot of cheapo wrenches "click" at only 60-75% of their settings. High quality wrenches aren't perfect neither, they will "click" at 90-100% of their settings. Things just get worse when using assembly lube.

Do your homework.
my boy kosal i saw a white teg and just said coy. :oops:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
To give you a straight answer....yes, torque specs are very important. They are created because manufacturers know the strength of the thread and material that they use...so they lay out specs to get the maximum efficiency out of the design.

Once a bolt "shoulders", the torque achieved above that stretches the threads. That stretch maintains proper contact force between two parts.The idea is to get the proper stretch to maintain solid contain without yielding either material. This is also the same reason you should not reuse many things such as head bolts...they were designed to be torqued (aka stretched) once. The material is at borderline yield point, it does not perform the same afterwords.

But what do I know

Last edited:

nowwhatnapster

Aight. I know it is a dumb question, but its just good to hear it from another person.

Computers are my nich, not cars. I am much more at home on the hardOCP forums. I am trying to learn more about cars.

I saw a bunch of torque wrenches online that all had pretty crappy reviews. So if you know of a good name brand let me know, having difficulty finding one.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A lot of people nit pick on bullshit. But one thing is for sure, something is better than nothing. A crappy torque wrench can guess better than your "feel of hand"

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
What about me? LOL!

Anywho, I dont use tq specs unless its internal parts in the motor or tranny.

Other than that, I just get it tight. Just how I like it.. Yumm..