Double Clutching and Trans Life

ramblin_wreck08

Curves > Straights
I know it's hard on the trans to shift into first when moving, but during an autocross it's sometimes necessary to post your best time. Does double clutch downshifting make it easier on your trans?

Prozon

Kris
I'll agree with Tam on that one. My car has bad third gear synchros, and double clutching would prevent the grind.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
That should help to some degree as well as rev-matching.

Prozon

Kris
You can find a thread about it in my "How to" list.
I can't do it very good lol, i'll probably die trying to heel-toe hahaha.

Last edited:

ramblin_wreck08

Curves > Straights
hey guys probably stupid question but what is double clutching?
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=42354&highlight=double+clutch

You can find a thread about it in my "How to" list.
I can't do it very good lol, i'll probably die trying to heel-toe hahaha.
Haha. I've only been driving manual for a month and a half (if that long), but I find double clutching easier to do than heel-toe, but harder to do fast (for obvious reasons...I can't heel-toe correctly so I have to take my foot off the brake). Then again, I've been trying all this in big ass tennis shoes. Gonna try heel-toe in something a little smaller so I can have a little more room to adjust my foot. Not to mention pedal feel.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Size 13 shoes. My boots seem to be a little harder to drive the Integra lol.
Gonna have to buy some new shoes before I start driving it again. Haha.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
So it will still hurt the trans, but just not as much?
Going into first at speed is just hard on parts, there is no denying that. There is just a lot of forces at work with the torque that is applied at that low of a ratio. Doing it perfect makes it so much easier on things and helps prevent tearing things up. But nobody is perfect, even professionals make mistakes. If you haven't spent a bit of time doing things like this, it can still prove to be very hard on the synchros and clutch. It takes a lot of practice to get right, especially in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:

konerri

i say if you have to down shift into a lower gear during AutoX. heel-toe is the way to go as you're going into a corner. then transition to left foot braking on the way out of the corner.

Of coarse, if you don't have to down shift, then it's left foot braking during the entire time.