Driving Lights done wrong??

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
ok so I got driving lights the other day and I have had serious issues with them. Let me explain the installation directions.

1. mount lamps
2. Blue wire from right light to left light.
3. Green wire from left light to switch on dash.
4. red wire from switch to + battery terminal.
5. black wire from switch to ground.

Ok so first to make it less complicating since my battery terminals are a pain to take off, we connected the red wire to the power wire for my radio. That way when the radio came on i could use the switch to turn on the lights. We tested the lights and they worked :) . we zip tied all the wires. Went for a drive, then my lights, radio, clock, and cig lighter doesnt work. Fuse blew.

Today, I removed the red wire from the radio and connected it to the + terminal like it was supposed to. I replaced the 15 fuse for my radio and cig lighter. lighter works, but my radio still wont come on, nor my clock. I also found that the fuse in the red wire blew. That is 15 also and came with the lights so it shouldn't have blown.

My questions:
1. What could be wrong with my clock and radio and how can i fix it?
2. The lights? WTH is up with the lights. They are now installed exactly how the directions said to.

XxCaryxX

As for the lights, not my area of expertise. However, the clock and radio won't work because you blew the fuse labeled "Back Up" in the fuse box located in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the firewall.

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
As for the lights, not my area of expertise. However, the clock and radio won't work because you blew the fuse labeled "Back Up" in the fuse box located in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the firewall.
hmmm... I'll go check it. I never thought of that :)

I checked, you were right :) thanks a bunch :)

so the radio and clock works now, I got a new 15A for the red wire fuse and the lights came on for about a minute then the fuse went out again. Should i got up to a 20A?

Last edited:

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
k so everything is working fine except the lights. the directions said to hook the red wire to the + battery terminal, i did that. The fuse that came with the package is a 15 fuse. it keeps blowing. Its fine until i turn the car on and then turn the lights on. So i went and got a 20 fuse. Same thing. Should I go down to a 10 fuse or what?

mirrorimg

There is some issue with your wiring. If you continue to bump up the fuse amperage the wires are going to burn up (if you have more current running through them than they can sustain)

89teggie

89teggie
something is shorted out, causing your fuse to blow. mirrorimg is right, the wires will melt if enough current goes through them.

on accessory lights, it would be a good idea to wire in a relay for additional assurance. i added driving lights on my jeep without a relay and melted every wire in that damn thing. relays are your friend, haha

Anguisette

I'mARegisteredUser
something is shorted out, causing your fuse to blow. mirrorimg is right, the wires will melt if enough current goes through them.

on accessory lights, it would be a good idea to wire in a relay for additional assurance. i added driving lights on my jeep without a relay and melted every wire in that damn thing. relays are your friend, haha
After I put the 20A in and blew I didn't put anymore fuses in, and I won't til it is fixed.

lol thanks guys. where can i get a relay from and what kind? I am going to re-ground everything tonight and see if that helps, if not i might need the relay.

89teggie

89teggie
u can get a relay from any parts store for a few bucks. they come with instructions on how to wire them in. but something is grounded out somewhere for it to keep blowing fuses, the lights should come on without the relay. the relay just keeps everything from melting pretty much.