Dylan's 1976 Datsun 280Z

drevans_satx

Dylan
Background:

About 1 month ago I got scammed during the purchase of a turbo kit for the S. After all that blew over I decided to say 'screw it' and buy a car I've wanted for a while with the money I would have spent on said turbo.

I'm the third owner of this car and right now it sits at just a hair over 36,000 ORIGINAL miles. The story I got was that the PO purchased it from the original owner running, but rusty. He then parked it in his barn for some repair....well that repair never happened. After 5 years of sitting he decided to sell it along with (2) 240Z's, (2) 260Z's, and another 280Z.

What I have right now is a inexpensive, rusty, sorta smelly, but running, Datsun.

End Goals:

Initially I wanted to buy a shell and LS1 swap it, but those plans changed when I found this one with 36,000 miles. Now my plans are to restore it over time.

1. Get it running again (complete)
2. Weld in patch panels
3. Interior carpet and seat reupholster
4. Paint
5. ???
6. Sikk mawds

Pictures of said junk heap!

Fresh off the trailer

Interior & exterior walk around

Work begins! Removal of F&R bumpers

After that I changed the fuel pump

Removed valve cover to inspect head components

Decided to try the zip-tie plug wire deal

Still runs a bit rough so I took off the AFM to inspect, adjust, and clean. This device controls the amount of air/fuel to the engine, so even the slightest bit off and everything is poo. From what I understand this is the precursor to the MAF(?) sensor.

5/16/2014

Figured out that injector #4 wasn't working .That explains my lack of fuel issue...

Anyway I tore out the old fuel rail system because it's old and looks like poop. Soon I'll be replacing it with a billet fuel rail and a new injector will be swapped in as well.

Last edited:

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
nice man...we were just working one of these LAST NIGHT same year n everything....lol :) Deja VU!

drevans_satx

Dylan
nice man...we were just working one of these LAST NIGHT same year n everything....lol :) Deja VU!
Awesome! maybe you can answer my question. No matter the position of the AFM flap or idle screw the only way I can get the car to rev up and not bog out is to lightly hold the counterweight on the AFM. After that it's fine. I've tried every bit of adjustment and cleaning.

drevans_satx

Dylan
I've finally decided what to do with the Z.

The plans are to weld in patch panels to start off.
Once that is completed I move on to the engine. It's coming out.
I'm replacing it with an RB20DET. Its cheap, and almost a direct drop in and wire up.

but the real update is this got here today. It's pretty well build for how expensive it is.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Today some inspiration came in.
Wheels! This is the first set of aftermarket wheels I have ever purchased and it feels pretty good.

Also I got a welding mask, but that isn't as interesting and its just plain. Nothing special to see.

XjoEnX

Very nice pick up Dylan. But damn the quality of leather back then must have been shit lol. 36000 miles and that's the wear on the seat? Nissan fail

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
lol, back then, odo only went to 99,999 then flipped back to 00000 :lol:. It could have more than 200000 and no one will ever know, except the original owner. Also, back then, cars werent made to last.

tork_sd89

Baywatch
Nice pick up. Looking forward to the progress. And I know the feeling of getting scammed. Happened to me last summer with a supercharger kit for the GSR

drevans_satx

Dylan
went with the 527s I see. Those will be my choice for my new car
They're sex. And the stupid cheap price also helped :D

Very nice pick up Dylan. But damn the quality of leather back then must have been s*** lol. 36000 miles and that's the wear on the seat? Nissan fail
The quality of everything back then is shit! Metal, leather, plastic all terrible. Everything except the engine. That sucker still goes!

lol, back then, odo only went to 99,999 then flipped back to 00000 :lol:. It could have more than 200000 and no one will ever know, except the original owner. Also, back then, cars werent made to last.
All my miles are documented! :D maintenance records and everything. It just sat in barns for a long time.

Nice pick up. Looking forward to the progress. And I know the feeling of getting scammed. Happened to me last summer with a supercharger kit for the GSR
Being scammed bothered me for a long time..But my bank rectified it within 2 hours of my filing the complaint. That helped a lot hah. I got everything back, but it sure took me down a peg!