ECU Codes

I<3MyIntegra

In a 2001 GSR Is an OBD2 scan tool required to pull codes? Or will the paper-clip-jump-and-read-the-CEL method still work?
Also, if an OBD2 scanner is required, which should I buy, and where could i get it? My CEL came on the other day and I want to diagnose the issue,
but I don't want to spend money if i dont have to.

Last edited:

96LSteg

Jemel
In a 2001 GSR Is an OBD2 scan tool required to pull codes? Or will the paper-clip-jump-and-read-the-CEL method still work?
Also, if an OBD2 scanner is required, which should I buy, and where could i get it? My CEL came on the other day and I want to diagnose the issue,
but I don't want to spend money if i dont have to.
paper clip method works but the scan tool gives you a more detailed diagnosis

I<3MyIntegra

Alright, well I tried the paperclip method but it just gives several slow blinks in repetition. What is the timing for the blinks and the reset? For example: slow blink (number of seconds) fast blink (number of seconds) End blink (number of seconds).

96LSteg

Jemel
slow blinks represent the first digit fast blinks following represent the second digit. So if you get 4 slow blinks and 6 fast ones following that = 46. You would have to refer to an OBD1 code list to translate these codes. The only way that I know when the codes start over is to write them down as you see them and when you begin to see them again you know it is starting over. It would help alot if you post a video. Maybe then I can help you to translate the codes.

I<3MyIntegra

Alllright. Got a OBD2 scanner and it's a P0132. So it's an o2 sensor. I'm not too engine savvy, so where would this specific sensor be located, and what should I be looking for in the case of issues and problem areas? Pics would be appreciated if possible, and thanks for the quick responses. :)

96LSteg

Jemel
That code would be for the primary o2 sensor. Thats the one before the catalytic converter. Should be screwed into the exhaust manifold.

I<3MyIntegra

That code would be for the primary o2 sensor. Thats the one before the catalytic converter. Should be screwed into the exhaust manifold.
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know what sort of issues might be causing it to read as high-voltage? And how would I go about diagnosing and fixing the problem? Thanks in advance. :)

96LSteg

Jemel
it could just be going bad from what ive read. Its best to just replace it with a new one. There should be a write up on the interweb on how to do it. Its not hard at all, takes a couple of minutes.

I<3MyIntegra

it could just be going bad from what ive read. Its best to just replace it with a new one. There should be a write up on the interweb on how to do it. Its not hard at all, takes a couple of minutes.
Alright cool, I'll replace it and go from there. Thanks for the help.